Things we did (WRONG) starting out in saltwater

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Trusting crustations....my sexy shrimp went after my zoas. My emerald crabs went after zoas...and so did my hermit crabs. (Caught them...and not just cleaning around them)

Only ones left in the tank are my pom pom crabs...so if zoas keep getting eaten they get evicted next.

Not understanding the chemistry....
understand ing the relationship between mag, calcium, alk...and that keeping those are huge for coral growth

don't over react....if you get a bad test number double and triple check before going crazy with dosing. You could have a bad test kit.

xxHLTxx

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you haven't made a mistake somewhere, you are 1:1,000,000. We've all made a mistake or two or three... And one you make I'm sure someone here has as well & can help you avoid the follow-up mistake. So to list off the top of my head...

-I Assumed my heaters were powerful enough if the house temp drops below 50 degrees. (hard to test for most people, but I run 1 105-150g heater & 2 75-100g heaters in the 3 chambers in my sump. I blew one of the 75-100s, the 2nd couldn't keep up and the 150 was overpowered running 2000gph through 1 chamber of a 55g).
-Used tap water at first and before my RO unit a couple of times used tap vs a trip to the store.. ("this will be the last time..."...but it wasn't)
-definitely tried fish that I wanted for a while knowing "it's like a 5% chance it won't get picked on or won't pick on the corals..." Basic fact. Research is free & trying it on a whim probably isn't free. When adding fish that could be problematic, have a plan B or escape route planned after you research things such as size, compatibility (liveaquaria is half decent at the size & gallons & compability...), gallons needed & territorial needs. (for tangs I acclimated with a colender (because I had 6) & If I see aggression with my tangs I leave it in the colender until they calm down otherwise I get rid. I avoid aggressive risks in system... Very messy @ times & never fun cleaning up a body or coral colony if it can be avoided.
-last but not least, I didnt use my resources when I started. I failed to ask around or ask local vendors or LFS about the forums. Had I known about the forums I could have avoided a lot of hard ache. Please please please use the resources here, whether it's PMs to individuals who have successful systems, vendors or retail shops, there is no stupid question n this hobby. It is nature were talking about, an ecosystem in all of our houses that are 0% the exact same.
- side note to the above. Post pictures of what questions you ask if possible, post pictures and updates frequently to keep the community up to date with progress and levels in case of a crash or problem to help diagnose.

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The thing I did wrong is get adicted to this hobby and spend way to much money and always want more lol.

On a serious note I didn't resist temptations and built my first reef to fast and wasn't patient.

Even if you have a controller have multiple failsafes if I did this I wouldn't have lost 10 k in corals 3 months ago

bsharpe

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
The best advise I got was from Don, DV3 for us old timers. When something goes wrong don't panic and start doing things to the tank. Figure out the problem and make SLOW adjustments.

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Pisces II;288668 said:
The best advise I got was from Don, DV3 for us old timers. When something goes wrong don't panic and start doing things to the tank. Figure out the problem and make SLOW adjustments.
That's for damn sure! I miss that guy!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I one thing I did wrong was to try and build my own HOB skimmer! When the water shot up and look like a fountain in my living room I thought my wife was going to fountain off herself!!!!

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
MartinsReef;288678 said:
I one thing I did wrong was to try and build my own HOB skimmer! When the water shot up and look like a fountain in my living room I thought my wife was going to fountain off herself!!!!

BWAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! A video of that'd be worth good money.