To skim or not to skim?

Hi all,
I'm new to the community and have a question.
I have a sumpless 20L with AC70 running purigen/chemipure/cheato. I have approximately 25lbs of rock. I am going to purchase a HOB Fuge within the week and run my macro in there. Currently I do 15-25% WC's a week. I feed the 3 fish evryother day and softies evryday with RN's Cyclopeeze.

Ultimately, I want a mixed reef. I am going to deploy within a month my question is, should I buy and run a skimmer? Or should I just train wife to do WC's every week and not feed too much?

On the other hand, the skimmer might be better for livestock if she slacks a little!

Or is it just one more piece of equipment she will have to worry about, like cleaning/draining etc.?

If I do buy one, do y'all have any suggestions? I'd prefer a HOB model but could live with internal if price/performance was worth it. Aqua C Remora, Aquamaxx, Octopus, Tunze, Eshopps, etc....

Please help, any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again!

Scott

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would say it'll just be another piece of equipment for her to worry about. Though if you have an ATO, all she would need to do is clean the cup maybe once a week. May even be able to go 2 weeks between water changes. The Aquamaxx HOB-1 would be overkill, but would probably work the best.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I was thinking aquamaxx would be crazy too but I have no idea. The Tunze could fit in my HOB Fuge and gets awesome reviews but its kinda expensive. The nano remora is around same price and would go along with HOB theme I've got going on. And yes, I'm ordering a Tunze ATO tonight so I guess all she'd have to do is clean skimmer reservoir and refill ATO reservoir. Take away one step and then add another.