Tom's Aqua Lifter Pump - Questions

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I am using a Tom's Aqua Lifter Pump attached to my JBJ ATO and RO tank under my stand. My question is how far are some of you pumping water and how far in vertical change is it going? I know the manufacturer says max 30" but wanted to see if anyone else it pushing that. Also is this 30" of pulling power or pumping power? If say the pump was somewhere in between RO source and sump would that increase the available height of change? Please post your experiences and scenerios

http://www.tomaquarium.com/prod_details.php?cat=29&p=58

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Ive never been able to dial these in, I have 2 brand new ones Ive yet to be able to sue cause I can figure them out. Needless to say Im following along!!

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Well one side is tge intake and the other the out put. The jbj ato basically turns on and off the pump according to what the float sensors are indicating. If it needs water it turns pump on, once desired water level is achieved it turns the pump off. Hth

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I have used one for the same purpose. I only pump water a foot or so. What it you pull water part of the way and push it the rest?

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
CRW Reef;272468 said:
Well one side is tge intake and the other the out put. The jbj ato basically turns on and off the pump according to what the float sensors are indicating. If it needs water it turns pump on, once desired water level is achieved it turns the pump off. Hth
Well see, thats the damn problem, all i have is 2 pumps. I thought they could be used for dosing or something.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use these for top off in three of my systems, but have all pump into the sump, so minor elevation (less than 22"above reservoir's lowest level). There just a diaphragm pump, so if you have any substantial head pressure, I would use a peristaltic. They will also back siphon, so you need to have an air break of some kind built in.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm pulling about 18" up. Mine does great but I noticed any more and it has issues. Also not very good if you run kalk in your top off water... You gotta clean em out a lot.

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!

I use a JBJ and Aquallifter combo too. Visit my build thread if you want pictures. Mine pulls 20in up then dumps down into my sump. I have had no problems with this system.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
JBJ ATO and aqualifter here as well. I have mine sitting inside my ice chest that I converted to hold equipment. It is sitting on the bottom of the chest next to a 5 gal RO container.

Pulls water from the RO so the line goes up about 12" to the top of the container. The output runs down through the bottom of the chest, then across to the tank (12" horizontal) then up over the lip of the sump (16" vertical)

I have an air break at the highest point right where it goes over the lip of the sump. The flow is pretty slow...I get a trickle coming out of the line, best estimate is easily under 5gph...probably closer to 2gph. I sometimes underfill after a WC then use saltwater in the ATO to adjust salinity...just going by the time it takes to top off the tank to estimate the gph...but either way I'd say I'm close to reaching the the pump's limit.