Too much light?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a 30 gallon currently running 192 watt Power compacts. Mainly have a few Zoas, a montipora, millipora, candy cane coral and a few mushrooms.
Recently got a current sun pod that has 2 x 150 w halides and some moonlighting led. Is this going to be too much lighting over my 30 or should u stick w the power compacts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I personally would ditch the PC's and get some good bulbs for those halides. I would pm JDA for a recommendation on 150w halide bulbs.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
If you ask me and in my opinion 300w of halide is alot of power and light for just a 30 gallon. If you do plan to run that, I would plan on keeping all your corals on the sand for a bit and also limit the length of light you put on them at first. Then gradually increase. You will see if it is too much light on not for things real quickly Im sure.

But then again I took my halides off 2 years ago and run LEDs now so......... I might not be one to listen to :D

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I plan on moving everything to a 65 using the halides when I get the money to redo the plumbing/sump. Just didn't seem right having it sitting in my office while running pc's. Had a seperate thread on halide bulbs and going to get 14k Phoenix's. It seemed like a lot of light but wanted to get opinions before I made another newbie mistake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'd either suspend the fixture well above the tank, or just set it up so that it runs only one 150W bulb, if the reflector gives you enough spread for that.

I had a 28g JBJ nanocube that ran a 150W halide...I think 2 bulbs is going to be overkill.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;294949 said:
I'd either suspend the fixture well above the tank, or just set it up so that it runs only one 150W bulb, if the reflector gives you enough spread for that.

I had a 28g JBJ nanocube that ran a 150W halide...I think 2 bulbs is going to be overkill.
+1
My thoughts exactly. (After my initial response of, "Holy bones!! 300W on a 30 gal tank???")