Top Off Rain Shower/Mister

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So this is something I've been thinking about for a while and Doug's post to Scott's build thread prompted me to create a post. The current pump I use for top off is a pump intended to be a misting system for reptiles and other tropical critters. I just have it setup to trickle water into my sump. But with my recent rebuild I've been thinking about installing some of misting heads over the mangroves to simulate rain. The only problem I thought I might have is the amount of time the pump would have to run then. Any suggestions you guys have on this? What are your thoughts on this method of top off?

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
what a genius idea!! Following along. Might be able to use this idea for a rooftop deck mister in Mexico.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had seen that post as well, and thought what a cool idea. What type of top off system do you have? If your running on a controller, I would think you could just run a defer statement to have it run for as long as you think it takes to get a nice clean shower (within reason). As large as your system is, I would think you could add a couple minutes of mist from a couple sprayer heads once your float is triggered, and not affect your system that much. Even if you are only topping off a couple times a day instead of every half hour, I would think your volume would be hard to detect any real change.

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've been working on just this idea. My rodi system has pressure for a few second when you first open the valve, so I have solenoids operated via an apex to open for a few seconds everyday to mist the mangroves. Its hit and miss because if my top off reservoir is calling for water then there is no pressure and no mist. But like I said its work in progress.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
My reservoir is a 44 gallon brute and the ATO pumps from there to the sump. All I will be doing is adding some spray nozzles to the existing line over the mangroves. The pump that tops off the tank is intended for this purpose specifically.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
FinsUp!;320620 said:
what a genius idea!! Following along. Might be able to use this idea for a rooftop deck mister in Mexico.
I was at Lowe's yesterday and they have these that hook right up to your hose.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
MuralReef;320638 said:
I was at Lowe's yesterday and they have these that hook right up to your hose.
I need to look into this. We will have electric and water plumbed to the roof.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I imagine that you are using a float and a timer? If so, just set the float a inch or two lower in the sump to account for the water that will eventually drain down.

JNG

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
What about building a plastic sheet wall of some sort along the edge of your sump. This would help keep in any excess spray from getting wasted. I would think the water would just slowly build up from the midst and just dip right into your sump. Just an idea, will be following along :)

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
MuralReef;320614 said:
So this is something I've been thinking about for a while and Doug's post to Scott's build thread prompted me to create a post. The current pump I use for top off is a pump intended to be a misting system for reptiles and other tropical critters. I just have it setup to trickle water into my sump. But with my recent rebuild I've been thinking about installing some of misting heads over the mangroves to simulate rain. The only problem I thought I might have is the amount of time the pump would have to run then. Any suggestions you guys have on this? What are your thoughts on this method of top off?
I have this on my pontoon I have a pressure pump runing it from a fresh water tank and the mister system is on my bimni top would work great

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So I ended up doing this at the beginning of summer and I think it helped my mangroves take off. The pump I've been using is specifically designed for this purpose. I bought it as a reptile misting system but originally just had it set up to flow into the tank. I added on two misting heads over the trees and it covers all 8 really well. I think it also allows for a gradual top off instead of doing it quickly. One of the mangroves has even extended roots above the water level. I take a snapshot tomorrow.