Tough lesson on being stupid

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I thought I would post this to help others learn from my mistake. The TLDR version is never make assumptions with your tanks. So here is the whole story.

I finally had my wife's new Nano 24 ready to go. The replacement tank came in from Innovative Marine on Monday, and I got the sand, water, and rock in there. I gave it a few days to make certain that the tank was fully cycled (the rock and water had been in another container for about a month just waiting on the glass).

So we went shopping on Saturday to pick up a few items to put in there. We came home with 2 small Zoa rocks, a coral, and a Ricordia from Aquatic Art, and picked up a pipe fish, a tiny goby, and 2 sexy shrimp from Aquamart. We put everything in the tank after a long acclimation. Nothing was acting normal, but we just assumed nothing was real happy with the move. We also dropped in a Superman Monti that was losing some color in the main tank.

About 24 hours later I noticed that one of the brand new corals was completely melted. When we checked everything else closer we notice the monti was gone as well. I can take a hint that something was not right with this tank, so we decided that everything needed to come out of this tank now. Both fish, one shrimp, the Ricordia, and the 2 zoas came out alive and went into the main tank.

The next step was to figure out why this was happening. Test kits showed perfect water quality. PH, Amm, Nitrite, and Nitrate was all spot on. Finally my wife asked about salinity. I told her that I knew the salinity was good since I had checked it when I put the rock into the container to cycle a month ago. When I went ahead and checked the salinity to prove I was right, I discovered that the tank was sitting at 1.036. My failure to check this before putting in livestock killed at least three things so far, and the chances of those tiny fish and shrimp surviving in my large tank, or of me ever getting them out of there if they do, is pretty minimal. I still have hope for the two Zoa colonies and the Ricordia.

I hate to say this, but it actually took me almost an hour to realize that I had never put top off water in the curing container. It had started at exactly 1.026 about a month ago, but of course it was much higher by the time I put the water directly into the new tank. Well being stupid and not checking all the parameters has cost me, both in monetary and guilt terms.

I pass along my own embarrassing story in the hopes that it will help someone. Never trust what you think, always run the tests. I do not even have a good excuse for not taking the time to check this since I use a refractometer, and that means the entire test would have taken 5 seconds.

Live and learn.

Last edited by a moderator:

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just a good learning lesson, were human and we all make mistakes, don't beat yourself up to badly just move on and next time check everything in a new tank :)

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Tapatalk

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
It happens to everyone in one form or another. My total moron move was topping off with saltwater the first few times. We think we have it covered, but something we forgot to check/think about kicks us in the butt. Thank you for having the guts to 'fess up as a reminder to all of us that the simple things matter.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
That sucks....but I am so jealous of the 24. Can't wait to see pics of your rock work.

also what lights did you end up with?

Last edited by a moderator:

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got a used AI Vega from Aquatic Art. It may be a bit much for this tank, but I love the light.

Sent via Tapatalk

gajake

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Been there. A few weeks ago I noticed my button polyps had not opened for days. I pulled out my test kits and everything looked good. Took a sample to my LFS to let him check - everything was fine EXCEPT salinity. 1.038! My refractometer was that far off. I was lucky. I rushed home and started bringing it back down quickly and didn't lose anything, but I know that another day or so and it would have been a disaster. I check the salinity frequently now and re-calibrate my refractometer often.

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well we got some good news this morning.

Both Zoa colonies were showing some signs of opening last night, and none of them had melted yet. The pipe fish has been spotted multiple times back in a corner of the big tank. The ricordia seems to be doing fine, but has not opened fully just yet. And for the first time since going into the big tank we spotted the goby out and about this morning. It looks like all this stuff is going to make it, but I have no clue how I am every going to capture them to move back.

The only thing still MIA since moving into the big tank is the one sexy shrimp. We saw him about an hour after dropping him in, but he went into the rock work and has not been seen since. I am hoping he makes an appearance some time in the future.

All in all I am impressed that so much survived. I thought for sure the fish were too small to survive in the big tank, but they both seem really healthy the times they have been spotted.