Upgrading firmware and setting up fusion

rplank

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
My home network is a bit wonky. We use the neighbors wifi (in-laws). We have a range extender at our house that hits most of the house. When I upgrade firmware, do I need to plug my Apex into the main router or the range extender?
And would this make any difference for setting up and using Fusion?

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I use a range extender as my apex resides in the basement. Fusion works well for me this way. I had the same question. Although I did get 100 feet of cat 5 from Amazon for 9bucks. That may be enough to run to the main router and save on a possible head ache.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya it needs to be the main router. I believe it is possible to do via the extender but it could very likely create firmware issues, so do it from the main hub to be sure. Fortunately you only need to update the apex the one time and then after that you can connect it via wifi from your house. You will have to hook it to the main hub again if there are any future updates to firmware but Apex doesnt do firmware updates very often for that very reason.

rplank

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok thanks. When I get back from vacation I may offer beer to someone to come over and help me get it set up and configured the way I want. I am not routerdnssubnetmaskispwifimacaddress literate enough to set it up on my own!

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
No need to buy a cable just grab the "brain module" and your laptop and use your own router or connect it to you In laws router and bring it back when it's done updating

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
deboy69;357141 said:
No need to buy a cable just grab the "brain module" and your laptop and use your own router or connect it to you In laws router and bring it back when it's done updating
+1

rplank;357140 said:
Ok thanks. When I get back from vacation I may offer beer to someone to come over and help me get it set up and configured the way I want. I am not routerdnssubnetmaskispwifimacaddress literate enough to set it up on my own!
Dont worry, it seems intimidating at first but its really not that difficult.