UV Sterilizer

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anyone have any first hand knowledge about what would be a decent brand to pick up for my Innovative marine SR60? Ideally I want to try and put it in-line with one of my returns.

Some of the brands I'm looking at are
Aqua UV 25W
coralife turbo twist
green killing machine 24w

Any other options that i should be looking at?

I have a coralife used the bulb is 2 weeks old. Let me know if you are interested.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have the 25W Aqua UV and like it a lot. I've been able to purchase replacement bulbs and quartz sleeves locally at pond shops. That's probably the only advantage over the other options...they all do essentially the same thing. I can't comment on bulb life for the other brands, but I've been running the same bulb 24/7 for about 18 months now...I'm definitely happy with it.

I have the Aqua Classic 57 Watt. Love it! Replaced the bulb once just... 'cause, well..., it says to. I run it 24/7 through my return and have the Apex shut the bulb off when the main pump shuts off. If not, I understand you're running the risk of the bulb sleeve breaking because of heat build up.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
AGGJSW;341123 said:
I have the Aqua Classic 57 Watt. Love it! Replaced the bulb once just... 'cause, well..., it says to. I run it 24/7 through my return and have the Apex shut the bulb off when the main pump shuts off. If not, I understand you're running the risk of the bulb sleeve breaking because of heat build up.
I do the same with my Apex. In the past I had the UV hooked up to a MJ1200; there were several occasions where the Maxijet froze after a power outage and the UV turned back on with no flow going through it. There have been times where a full 24hrs went by with the bulb sitting in the sleeve cooking and I never had a problem. I'm not saying it's OK to run the UV "dry"...but that sleeve is pretty beefy to be able to withstand that unintentional abuse. :)

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Any places locally sell them? I was looking at the sizing chart and it states i would only need an 8watt...and even then looking at what my flow rate would be that is still beefy.

jahmic;341120 said:
I have the 25W Aqua UV and like it a lot. I've been able to purchase replacement bulbs and quartz sleeves locally at pond shops. That's probably the only advantage over the other options...they all do essentially the same thing. I can't comment on bulb life for the other brands, but I've been running the same bulb 24/7 for about 18 months now...I'm definitely happy with it.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ron's Golden Ponds in Lakewood sells replacement parts. I was able to get a sleeve and bulb from them as well as the Davis connector for my AquaUV (the fitting that attaches the cord to the PVC). I may have gotten lucky...but they had all that in stock when I called them :)

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
sigh, out of business...ron retired.

jahmic;341130 said:
Ron's Golden Ponds in Lakewood sells replacement parts. I was able to get a sleeve and bulb from them as well as the Davis connector for my AquaUV (the fitting that attaches the cord to the PVC). I may have gotten lucky...but they had all that in stock when I called them :)

Last edited by a moderator:

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Jeremiah;341131 said:
sigh, out of business...ron retired.
I just saw that...bummer. He was a cool guy and had a really nice shop.

(lol...sorry...edited your post instead of quoting and replying :p )

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
That sounds about right...my 25W unit is just under 30" based on how it fits in my stand.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Man, i really liked that aqua advantage, but they are stupid on the design so it won't work. All they had to do was put the outlet on the side instead of the back since most people would install this on the back of the tank (or even sump) and that would help a ton with clearance issues.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think it's made so that one outlet faces up and the other faces down. Generally you want to tilt the unit so that the outlet is the high point on the UV sterilizer to prevent air pockets from collecting around the glass. Unless you are talking about the HOB one that I'm looking at...in which case I see your point. :)

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have an emperor for sale. 25w. Pm me if your interested

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hob one....prolly would have gotten if wasn't for that.

jahmic;341151 said:
I think it's made so that one outlet faces up and the other faces down. Generally you want to tilt the unit so that the outlet is the high point on the UV sterilizer to prevent air pockets from collecting around the glass. Unless you are talking about the HOB one that I'm looking at...in which case I see your point. :)

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks, but after researching it seems i need an 8w version of your emperor.

I know I could oversize and figure it out, but i'm afraid of adding 25w of heat + the pump wattage....(smaller tank problems)

fiji4118;341191 said:
I have an emperor for sale. 25w. Pm me if your interested