Vortech mp10 vs Neptune WAV

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
So, I currently have 1 mp10w in my 40 breeder. I am considering purchasing either one more mp10 or pulling the mp10 I have out and replacing it with the Neptune WAV Kit with 2 power heads.

Thoughts?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The WAVs are very powerful. You honestly only need one in a 40 breeder at like 10% max. If you get two, you will need to run master/inverse, with the master maxing out at like 8%.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't think you can go wrong with either one. MP10 is certainly proven at this point, so there is some risk with being a WAV early adopter. Really I think it will come down to what you want to spend. Picking another mp10 up used would be the cheapest route, but selfishly I want to hear about your experience with the WAV!

MP10's seem to hold resale value pretty well, so you could get a used one now and wait for the Black Friday sales to save some $$$ on the WAV kit and then sell both mp10s.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;360474 said:
The WAVs are very powerful. You honestly only need one in a 40 breeder at like 10% max. If you get two, you will need to run master/inverse, with the master maxing out at like 8%.
Yeah, the WAV is super powerful and I know I will need to run it on vet low speed. I was contemplating getting the 2 because I will upgrade my tank eventually and it would be nice to already have the power heads I would need. For the price of one WAV, it seems like a good idea to get the kit.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
SkyShark;360475 said:
I don't think you can go wrong with either one. MP10 is certainly proven at this point, so there is some risk with being a WAV early adopter. Really I think it will come down to what you want to spend. Picking another mp10 up used would be the cheapest route, but selfishly I want to hear about your experience with the WAV!

MP10's seem to hold resale value pretty well, so you could get a used one now and wait for the Black Friday sales to save some $$$ on the WAV kit and then sell both mp10s.
I worry too about being an early adopter of the WAV without a proven track record. I do like the mp10 but I thought one would be enough for my 40. It isn't. At some point, I will also be upgrading my tank and mp10's wouldn't be enough power but WAV's certainly would be. Also, I have a bunch of store credit so, looking to use that up on new equipment. So, probably not going to spend cash on a used mp10.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'll probably just do the mp10 to be on the safe side. Maybe next tank upgrade.