Vortech Powerheads choices

Mccoc033

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a 75 gallon and am considering ditching my WP's for the vortech MPs. Should I get 2 of the MP 10s or 1 MP 40? or 2 MP 40s? Thanks in advance for any advice ;)

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I say 2 MP10s. IMO an MP40 can be dialed down in a 75 enough to work...but I prefer 2 smaller pumps over 1 larger pump any day. You have more versatility with pump placement and creating different flow patterns with multiple pumps.

Mccoc033

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sweet, I was thinking the same thing, just wanted to validate my ideas with people who have been doing this longer that 6 months lol

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
lol we all know im a bit off center but ......... I run 2 - Vortech MP40s on my 75 gallon tank @ about 75% :lostit:

So I say depending on the sand you have, what you plan to keep and how full your tank is ......... I would minimum go 1 MP40 with supplemental power-head of some kind on the other side, then 1 MP10 and 1 MP40, then .....2 MP40s :p

Last edited by a moderator:

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
what i like about the mp40 is the broad/wide stream it has but it also has a pretty awesome undertow as well. I ran 1 mp10 and 1 mp40 for along time at 100% reef crest mode and was happy but once I put the 2nd MP40....it was night and day and everything (well most everything, somethings had to be moved) loved the added flow and looked happier.

Mccoc033

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I appreciate the input, not looking forward to the added cost lol

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Chad, we don't all have an invisible sandbed because our tanks are stuffed with corals :p

Mccoc033

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I might try the two 10s and upgrade if needed or desired. This is such a tough decision lol

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
jahmic;309796 said:
Chad, we don't all have an invisible sand-bed because our tanks are stuffed with corals :p
Lol ahhh you might be right, I guess that could be the reason for no sand storms in such high flow. See of center :p

If at some point you would like to borrow a MP10 to see how the flow works you are more than welcome to come borrow one, just lmk

kutcha

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
ok piggy backing on this thread i have a WP-40 a MP-40 and a aqueon 1250 power head in my tank do you think this is enough for a 6ft 180 gallon tank?