Watanabei Angelfish // rough delivery

Hello, first post on MASC, and excited this exists.

I have a 120-gallon mixed reef that started in February. I recently received two female Watanabei angels from Dr. Reef's Quartantine and they arrived in rough shape, lying flat on the bottom of the bags. I tried acclimating them and was successful in bringing back one, but lost the other. This was on Thursday.

I have the survivor in a 20-gallon QT right now but she isn't eating. I've tried frozen mysis, brine, plankton, freeze-dried plankton (with and without garlic guard), pe flakes, and pe pellets. She seems to acknowledge the feeding (gets excited) but is not ingesting anything. The replacement for the DOA is arriving next Thursday (11/23).

My questions are:

1) What else should I try? I could do baby brine but not sure that's going to be enticing for her size.
2) Should I add this one to my DT? Seems to be swimming around just fine and went through Humblefish QT methods. I wasn't sure if that might be difficult to add the second, or should I put them both into the DT at the same time, assuming this new one acclimates well. Would being around the other fish maybe trigger eating again?

Thanks for the help, feeling stumped.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I feel @jda123 and/or @scchase would have some good ideas. With the replacement arriving shortly I’d be tempted to wait and introduce them to the display together. But I’m also not a QT guy, so they would already be in my display….

I feel @jda123 and/or @scchase would have some good ideas. With the replacement arriving shortly I’d be tempted to wait and introduce them to the display together. But I’m also not a QT guy, so they would already be in my display….
Thank you for adding some individuals in. I'm mostly wanting to know about territorial aggression on saltwater angelfish since this is my first. I think she started eating when I was not watching but waited for the food to settle on the bottom first. I removed the large PVC since she would only stay in there otherwise and not go for any food. That phase might be passing here.

If you haven’t already repost this on humblefish, large fish focused forum.
I'm aware of Humblefish and I have emailed Dr. Reef (Humblefish's long-time apprentice and assistant with methodologies) directly as well, but wanted some more opinions outside that circle and to network within this group. I'll post the response here if I hear back, they have been corresponding with me. It sometimes feels like an echo chamber there though and personal experiences matter to me still. Is this an active club/forum?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Did it start to eat?

I am not a fan of QTing these fish until after they are established and eating. I do not feel that they do well in copper or in sterile tank - need rock and a reef. Anyway, too late for this now.

If it eats, your chances are really good. These are hardy fish that do well for me. Most of the issues with them are swim bladder issues, but if they have been in captivity for a while, these should have been seen already.