Well I did it...

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;137080 said:
Of course deleted. What lens did you get?
Doesn't show deleted for me o_O this is the header

Sigma Macro Zoom 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 Canon EF Mount Lens DSLR EOS T3i - $52 (Aurora, CO)

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well call me sucker then lol someone labels a lens macro lens and I think it's a macro lens... Thanks for bursting my bubble xD

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Gabe,

The first thing you should do is get yourself a good tripod and remote shutter release. Then after you have played with the camera and understand the basics move on to lenses. I suggest this because until you understand the specs of a lens and what it can do you are just throwing money in the wind.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;137095 said:
Gabe,

The first thing you should do is get yourself a good tripod and remote shutter release. Then after you have played with the camera and understand the basics move on to lenses. I suggest this because until you understand the specs of a lens and what it can do you are just throwing money in the wind.
Well i got a tripod, I'm messing with lenses because the one i got is too much to practice with so now I'm dealing with finding something that suits the situation. What better practice then my aquarium so now I need a macro lens lol

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well then the one that I linked is going to be just about the cheapest you are going to find. You can try a macro filter however I was not able to get close enough to the subjects in my aquarium to focus with one. Another option you have is extension tubes. I bought a set, pain in the *** and I couldn't get them to work right. You can also try using a reverse mount ring - info here. I couldn't get that to work how I wanted it either. You can take good shots with a standard kit lens, macro is not necessary to get good shots. Get the 18-55mm lens and work with that for a while. Or spend a little bit of coin and get the canon 50mm f/1.8. I hear its a great lens.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;137099 said:
Well then the one that I linked is going to be just about the cheapest you are going to find. You can try a macro filter however I was not able to get close enough to the subjects in my aquarium to focus with one. Another option you have is extension tubes. I bought a set, pain in the *** and I couldn't get them to work right. You can also try using a reverse mount ring - info here. I couldn't get that to work how I wanted it either. You can take good shots with a standard kit lens, macro is not necessary to get good shots. Get the 18-55mm lens and work with that for a while. Or spend a little bit of coin and get the canon 50mm f/1.8. I hear its a great lens.
Yeah i will use that 18-55 after work and be content for a while I hope lol. Thanks for all the info Kris. Thanks for the algae at the metting too. Looks nice in my tank :)

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah I'm sure I will too. After asking you about it I let the info marinate and yeah that flip screen will have lots of advantages. So I'm glad I went with the T3i instead of the T2i. I'll post some pics with my sub macro later lol

Mini T

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Get the 50 2.5 macro instead of the 50 1.8, much better quality glass. It's not fast though, but it is a true macro.

The 100 macro is nice, so is the 180 which is what I have. I'm old school and use extension tubes as well as a teleconverter on my tilt-shift lenses.

I only own the 45ts, 85L, 90ts, and the 180L macro. I can do most everything I need with those lenses and thats for advertising work.

Can we use existing work in this canon vs nikon photo contest? :)

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mini T;137123 said:
Get the 50 2.5 macro instead of the 50 1.8, much better quality glass. It's not fast though, but it is a true macro.

The 100 macro is nice, so is the 180 which is what I have. I'm old school and use extension tubes as well as a teleconverter on my tilt-shift lenses.

I only own the 45ts, 85L, 90ts, and the 180L macro. I can do most everything I need with those lenses and thats for advertising work.

Can we use existing work in this canon vs nikon photo contest? :)

Cool thanks for that I will look at that macro then. I'm not too excited with lens I got today.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well I tried out the "macro" lens before going out tonight. Some of the pics came out ok

[attachment=60701:name]

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice pics dude... Love that blue branching monti, saw some at Chris caps the other day I should have picked it up.

And not bad with for a 45 dollor lens.. Come over and take some pics of my stuff.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah can do whenever just let me know. The lens is kinda crappy or maybe I'm still learning the auto focus but it doesn't seem to want to focus half the time.

Mini T

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's best when macro shooting to turn off autofocus. Focus to your desired magnification, and move the camera back and forth to achieve focus. This will save you some frustration focusing when DOF is so shallow.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I cant tell how you are shooting to give my amateur pointers. I would suggest uploading your pics via photobucket so I can see the exif data. Somehow when you upload them to masc it strips them from the photo.

As far as focusing - press the shutter button halfway down and the camera should beep and you should see red dots in the viewfinder, those will be your focus points. If the red dots are not on a area you want to focus on then release the button and press half way down again until the dots are on a place you want to capture. Also, get in the habit of shooting through the viewfinder if possible, it auto focuses much faster then through live view (swivel screen). You can also turn off auto focus on your lens near the body, change from AF to MF. I actually prefer to manual focus myself but it takes some practice for sure.

Also, for gods sakes dont shoot in [A+] mode. This defeats the whole purpose of having a DSLR.

Learn how the exposure triangle works (ISO, Aperture, Shutter speed). Play around with each setting and see how they relate to each other and effect the image you are capturing. From the pictures you took I can say that your F Stop (aperture) is too low of a number. See how parts of your subject are in focus while others are not, this is because your F Stop is too low, which in turn means that the focus area (DOF or depth of field) is very narrow. For the most part you want your subject in focus while your background is blurred. The higher the F Stop the more of your picture will be in focus, make sense? I know there is probably a more scientific or better way to explain this but I am a rookie also.