Wet or Dry Skimming

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Since I've been in this hobby I've only known wet skimming, or at least that's what I've seen. Can anyone tell me what the main difference is? I know how to wet skim but how would one do dry skimming, like setting the bubble line etc. I know for wet skim you set your bubble line right under the collection cup and that gives you a brown residue in the collection cup and I think dry skim gives your a green residue?

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Irishman;369226 said:
Since I've been in this hobby I've only known wet skimming, or at least that's what I've seen. Can anyone tell me what the main difference is? I know how to wet skim but how would one do dry skimming, like setting the bubble line etc. I know for wet skim you set your bubble line right under the collection cup and that gives you a brown residue in the collection cup and I think dry skim gives your a green residue?

I am no expert but Im not sure the color of the skimmate has much if anything to do with skimming wet or dry. I have always understood it to just be where you set the bubble line. The higher up the neck the wetter the skim the lower the dryer.

I personally prefer a wetter skim and from what I have read at least most people find it to be more effective at removing organics. The downside is you have to empty the cup more often and you run a greater chance of the skimmer overflowing when something causes the skimmer to go crazy. At least this is my experience.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
That makes sense. I've just always done the wet skim and I saw a picture of the dry skim and was just wondering the benefits of either or. I'll stick with what I know and I am sure won't have a chance of overflow since I look at every thing at least once a day.