Your Suggestions and Recommendations = My Tank Build

Reef_Newbie

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Reef_Newbie;285544 said:
My Cycle is progressing well so it is time to start thinking about the clean up crew I will be using. Where is the best place to pick the little guys up and which combos do you guys recommend?
Don't everyone jump at the opportunity to contribute to this one haha!

So after being gone for 7 days. Ammonia and Nitrite levels have gone down to 0 as well as nitrates coming in at .2 PPM. I am thinking the two raw shrimps and die off from the dry live rock have provided enough crap for the bacteria to establish in the tank. The Chaeto I grabbed from bajamike and Finsup! has at least doubled in size. I think I noticed a handful of "large" copepods in the Chaeto as well(you tell me as pictures are attached). There are also TONS of smaller looking ones running around all over the tank(video: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4zr6VyociGDY19fay1KMEN4RWJQd3U3U3Y4VDAyX2E0V0lZ ).

I am also noticing that there is some red hair algae growing in spots on the live rock. Mainly around the areas the powerhead is pointed at. I am thinking about going to pick up some cleanup crew members tomorrow to get them working on that. What stores here have good/affordable options?

[attachment=65726:name]

Reef_Newbie

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
The tank now has life in it!

10: Red hermits
10: Astrae snails - These guys seems to fall on their backs all the time.... 1 has fallen victim to hungry hermits on his back
10: Cerith snails - No issues here
3: Peppermint Shrimp
3: Emerald Crabs
1: Randall's Goby
1: Zoa - Red/Green - Opened up almost all the way in the light for 30 minutes. Had the lights off for the goby and only had em on for about 30 mins before bed.[attachment=65759:name]
1: Candy Cane Green - Seems fairly Happy
1: Star Polyp - Closes up in the dark started to open in about 30 minutes of light.

BPreefer

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Reef_Newbie;287435 said:
I'm still up in the air on this one.... What bulbs did you run in your 2x t5?
I think when I took them off I was using an actinic and a blue plus. It really comes down to how blue you like your tank.

Reef_Newbie

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I figured a year in is a good time to post an update.

I ran 2:1 blue/white non-dimmable chinese LEDS all last year. I decided it was time to change and picked up Rev's Radion Gen 2's for the tank. These things truly made a world of difference. I have had them running for 3 weeks and I am in love with them. So many new colors are already developing in my corals(mainly my SPS). I am getting growth on my blue stag that had stalled out earlier in the year after growing pretty steadily.

I added a dual reactor for carbon and GFO, which has helped keep nuisance algae down. Althought I can't determine if the Carbon is causing my ALK to deplete at extreme rates, as I am dosing this tank over 100 ML of 2 part soda ash to keep it around 9DKH every day, which is more than I would expect is typical.

Current fish inhabitants include:
Melanarus Wrasse
Yellow Tang
Randall's Goby
2x Clowns
Green Mandarin
2x Bangai Cardinal
1x Pistol Shrimp
1x Blood Shrimp

You can see my album of images here: http://imgur.com/a/FjtbQ

[attachment=68375:name]

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
IMO only run carbon when you need to; like treating for flatworms or feeding heavy.

As for the nuance algae problem you had mentioned, what are you feeding your fish and how much? High phosphate levels most of the time come from over feeding or using dry rock.