The build thread: 430gal. display

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re:The build thread: 430gal. display

Progress!!! Where before there was furnace, we have now achieved a large lack of it! :)

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

Did they have to disassemble it to get it out?

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

I wasn\'t there, but I certainly assume so. I doubt it would have fit through the door. I did find sheet metal in the dumpster, but I\'m not sure if that was just random stuff or parts of the furnace.

So, the water heater will be moved, the chimney that you see the corner of will be removed, and those pipes you see will be re-routed. And, since they have to pour a bunch of new concrete in this section per the engineer, they are going to pull out the concrete pad and pour a new one a little lower. So, it should be much nicer in there eventually.

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

One day? Wow, those guys drank a lot of coffee before they showed up. I like the hanging door the best - makes me want to open it to see what\'s on the other side.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

They really don\'t screw around. It\'s _really_ strange when they start cutting the sides off your house.

Before:

After:

I do hate that we had to lose that tree (a gorgeous ornamental pear), but it was on its way out anyway. We\'ve lost at least half of the tree in the last three years to snowstorms. The heart wood was pretty far gone. So, we\'ve already planted its replacement in another part of the yard.

Demo day 2:
http://65.102.221.68/demo2/

hey ummmfish, I\'m doing a website on T5 lighting using alot of Grim Reapers data, one thing though. I need some good pics of tanks and corals that aren\'t copy righted. would you be intersted in sending me some of your macro shots for the website. email me rfruits at gmail.com

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Thanks, Cris! I honestly can\'t believe the destruction is going this fast, either. Wish you were here. ;)

Saturday, they had people out with an enormous vacuum cleaner to suck out all of the blown insulation. The vacuum cleaner bag took up about half of the big dumpster that\'s taking up the whole backyard.

Monday, they pulled up about 1/4 of the floor on the first floor in anticipation of the installing the big steel beam that\'s taking the place of the doubled 2 x 6s that were supporting the entire house. :blink: Plus, somewhere down the line, whoever was in the house removed the support beam that was keeping the 2 x 6s level across the long span of the basement. :S No wonder the house was shifting.

I guess it\'s possible that they are starting to demo the concrete pad in the basement, too. I\'ve heard some muffled machinery noise.

The big meeting with the geothermal guy is today. I hope he\'s been thinking about the aquariums....

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

I just got back from a meeting with the builder, architect, and geothermal guy. The builder is planning on completely isolating the fish room from the rest of the house (closed-cell foam). The geothermal guy is planning on running a room zone (heat and cool) into the fish room but essentially we\'re planning on controlling the temperature in the room with the thermal mass of the water. That is, I\'ll also have a heating and cooling zone that\'s the fish tanks and they\'ll basically set the temperature for the room--the whole room thermostat will be for emergencies or if, for some untold reason that I can\'t possibly imagine, there\'s ever not a huge number of fish tanks around.

As for humidity, the fish room will have its own separate air handler so humid air isn\'t mixed in with the rest of the house. It\'ll have a dehumidifier. The problem is the heat of the summer and he\'s off thinking about what to do about that.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Today\'s demo photos: http://65.102.221.68/demo3/

The highlights are that they\'ve now removed the floor throughout the main level. Crazy that. Not pictured here, but they\'ve now also completely cleared out the basement (including all of the sewer plumbing ... ewww) of everything except the scaffolding that\'s supporting the main beam of the house. It\'s getting close to just being a brick box. I never really imagined that they\'d strip it down this far, but it\'ll be cool when it\'s done.

BTW, I\'ve saved all of the 100-year-old heart pine flooring for future woodworking projects.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

BTW, it looks like Xcel will be cutting the power to my switches for a couple of hours this morning, so all of my photos will be down. Sorry.

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member

Wow talk about a build thread! I have seen your photos of diff thing on the boards of RC and they are awesome!! Ill be watching the thread to get some ideas for down the road! :woohoo: :woohoo:

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Hey, if you\'re going to build then you might as well do it right! :) Actually, I\'ve seen no sign of building yet. I hope they\'re as good at building as at tearing things up.

Thanks and welcome aboard!

Xcel installed the new meters today, so we\'re all set on power. The guys have removed all of the rest of the flooring from the main floor and finished shoring up the main house beam until the excavation is done and they can slide the steel beam into place.

One of the floor joists collapsed under load today, but the guy that was walking across it managed to make it to the next joist before taking a tumble into the basement. Yikes. This was, of course, right in the middle of the site meeting with us, the architect, the builder, the engineer, and various other people all watching. The engineer had just said (seriously), \"The wood all looks better than I thought it would.\" Sigh.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

The crew just finished for the week, so here are updated photos:

http://65.102.221.68/demo4/

The highlights: Since the power was switched over yesterday, they pulled the breaker box out of what was left of the mudroom and removed the rest of the structure. There\'s also almost enough plywood down on the floors now so that you don\'t have a heart attack walking across. Almost. :)

I hate wallpaper, but some of that looks to be very old wallpaper. I saw some that looked similar to the flowery stuff in a house I did the taping, texturing and painting on in Butte MT. The owners found out it was from the 1800\'s and was some kind of special. They had someone come in to strip it off in entire strips to \"save\" it for some reason. I don\'t know why, but someone wanted 100+ year old ugly wallpaper in their house.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Yeah, ALL of those wallpapers were in the same closet :dry: in multiple layers. There weren\'t any sections that were nice enough to save, even had I wanted to.

Wow, you are one serious reefer! As a fellow Boulder-ite, I\'d love to come by to take a look at the project and introduce myself sometime.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Well, okay. I can admit that this remodel has to do with other things than just getting more and bigger fish tanks, despite how I make it sound around here. :)

I\'ve been scared of my wiring for a long time. I\'ve also been scared of the many layers of paint under the non-toxic ones that we put on. The floors were to the point that they were one large mass of patches. The furnace, well, was on its last legs. We haven\'t been able to open most of the windows since the last time the exterior was painted. And I must be getting old because I no longer want to sleep in a 100 degree bedroom in the summer. Oooo, and the idea of warm feet in the winter sounds really good, too.

Our house did, however, help me teach my daughter about gravity, but in a skewed sort of way. She now believes that if you roll a marble anywhere in the world it will end up under our TV set. Must be a local black hole.

So really, this remodel is mostly one about functionality. I want to get all the basics fixed, and fixed right, so that we NEVER have to do this again. We keep saying that we\'re getting the house ready for its next 100 years, and I do believe that\'s true.

But, while we\'re working on it, the house might as well accommodate our interests and hobbies, too, right?

So, Rob, I guess I\'m long-windedly trying to say that while it\'s not all about the tank, it\'s pretty nice that that\'s getting in there, too. :) Sure, you can come by. Do you want to wait until there\'s something vaguely tank-related going on, or do you have a passion for looking at naked joists? :)