The build thread: 430gal. display

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re:The build thread: 430gal. display

More demolition happening this week. About half of the flooring is gone from the upstairs. The big digging machinery is supposed to start work tomorrow!

So, when they jacked up the floors to get them level, apparently all of the support posts for the main house beam in the basement pulled right out of the ground. I guess when the house was built they just sank the posts right into the dirt under the house and they had rotted completely away. :eek:

New photos from this afternoon: http://65.102.221.68/demo5/

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

Ummfish wrote:
Our house did, however, help me teach my daughter about gravity, but in a skewed sort of way. She now believes that if you roll a marble anywhere in the world it will end up under our TV set. Must be a local black hole.
:lol: :lol:
Now that\'s funny.

Andy - you\'re living the dream. You live in Boulder, your house will be renovated and reliable, and you\'ll have a killer tank. Doesn\'t that cover the basics in life!?

Post edited by: miwoodar, at: 2008/02/07 10:23

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Well, thank you, but wouldn\'t you think that if you were living the dream you\'d be able to actually sleep? :) More insomnia last night = bad day at work today. Sigh.

But, yeah, I have a lot to be thankful for. You didn\'t even mention the sexy bride and smart, healthy daughter. ;)

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Some new photos! The destruction continues. Here\'s the excavation for the porch and new addition:

We\'re supposed to get a snowstorm tomorrow, but the excavation shouldn\'t take much more than to the end of the week. The builder is hopeful that we might get some new foundation poured by the end of the month.

Inside the house, the carpenters have almost finished laying new subflooring throughout the old part of the house. (The house needed it for lateral support. We\'ve had a lot of high winds lately.) Also, they\'ve added a new support beam of double 2 x 12s for the sagging master bedroom.

I wasn\'t able to get new photos of the interior because the crew worked late today.

Thanks for listening!

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

I\'m again impressed by the speed of all of this.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Well, we\'ll see what the weather does to us, but the carpenters are still doing indoor work today.

These builders seem to have a fantastic crew, though. I\'d highly recommend them to anyone who needs a re-model. This is how fast it\'s going despite running into several problems already.

Post edited by: Ummfish, at: 2008/02/14 14:32

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

If you want it, you have to move it. :)

Actually, it\'s already long gone. The asbestos abatement was the first team they brought in.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

A jackhammer\'s been running all day at the house. I\'m dying to see what they\'re up to, but I\'d just bet that they\'re pulling the old concrete floor out of the basement. I think I\'ll give it a day or so before I go to check to let all of the dust settle.

I bet the neighbors just looooovvvve me. :)

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

More photos:

http://65.102.221.68/HB02/

They\'re almost done digging out the new basement. In the meantime, the carpentry crew has framed a good portion of the upstairs. They also built a temporary wall on the first floor to support the second floor and then knocked out all of the brick for a new door on the side of the house. The crew also scored up the concrete floor in the basement for removal tomorrow. (The jackhammer going all day last Friday was solely for the removal of a 2\' x ~12\' section of crawl space so they can put a new cement foundation wall there. Oi.)

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

So, big updates. Let me talk about the important stuff first: The aquarium. :) There was a big site meeting today with the builder, architect, aquarium builder, and the HVAC people and the dimensions got finalized and chalked down on the subfloor! Lots of talk about how to isolate and vent the space above the display tank as well as some preliminaries about how to isolate and vent the fish room.

The big bad news: The foundation was a little thicker under that section of the house than the engineer expected and so the aquarium is going to have to be shorter than expected. :mad: :blink: It looks like I have to put up with it being only 11 feet 9 inches. :mad: There go all my plans.

:)

In other, more boring, news: Apparently, the house is falling down. Kidding, sort of. When the house was built, on one corner they just didn\'t go down as far as the rest of the foundation. So, they\'re going to put steel pieces in to reinforce everything when they pour the concrete. The _other_ rear corner has started crumbling now that the dirt\'s been removed from around it. Sigh. That\'s going to necessitate a great big concrete column that\'s going to go exactly where I was going to put in a dumb waiter to service the fish room (salt\'s heavy and my back sucks). We found another place for it, but it still sucks.

The digger\'s done and the surveyers were out this afternoon. They say that concrete\'s going to start flowing tomorrow. :eek: That\'s crazy to me, but I don\'t underestimate these guys. Very motivated. The builder says that they\'ll have all the concrete finished by the end of next week.

More photos:

http://65.102.221.68/HB03/

Post edited by: Ummfish, at: 2008/02/21 18:38

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

A delay! Apparently, instead of noon they aren\'t supposed to start pouring concrete until 2pm.

New photos, though:

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Sorry that I haven\'t kept up but it\'s been a busy week. Here\'s what the house looked like on Monday afternoon. They were supposed to pour yesterday afternoon but the engineer asked for some changes, so they\'re just about to pour right now!

http://65.102.221.68/HB05/

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

New house photos from today:

http://65.102.221.68/HB07/

But, exciting news: I have a new little invertebrate buddy:

Yes, my nanos have a little problem and this little one seems ready to take the problem on. I\'ve borrowed this one from another member of the reef club until it makes the Aiptasia go away. Thank you!

Ah, but it\'s time for fun images. I received a CAD of the tank from the builders today. Woohoo! I also have detailed drawings, but I\'m not allowed to share those unless I get permission. Without further ado:

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Sorry that it\'s been a while. I\'ve been sick and it\'s been cold out (cough, cough). New photos:

http://65.102.221.68/HB08/

The old part of the house has steel for support and a whole bunch of new concrete (with steel) now. Hopefully that\'ll hold up for a while.

I think they\'re planning on having the hole backfilled by tomorrow and having the subflooring down by then as well.

Meetings lately are dominated by aquarium skin decisions, house cabinetry design, and lighting issues. Moving on....

(cough, cough)