200G Forever And A Day Build Thread

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks Ill post some updated pics of the fish soon. I haven't added any coral yes so it just not much to look at which is why I haven't really posted any updates. Also Ill admit Iv been spending most of my money on camera crap so the tank has been a little neglected but in the end better pictures will come out of it. :)

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So not much of an update but I have acquired a couple more fish. Ill get some better shots of everything eventually.

Got this Desjardini Sailfin a while ago. Hes chowing down with the white tail. They seem to be good buds.

Picked up a Blond Naso from AA last Saturday so hes still confined to QT for the next several weeks. He or she im not sure yet but leaning to maybe a she is doing really well. Eating like a pig and pretty tame. Switch tanks for TTM has been a breeze so far. Anyone know how old a Naso is before a male will start to get streamers?

Here are a couple full tank shots. Not much to see now but Ill probably start adding corals in another month or two. Probably after the holidays Im thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Looks great, man, also looks like you got a some shifting sand

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
+1 those look amazing!

Mermaid Gardens

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
That desjardi Is awesome. Great find!

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have started adding a few corals. So far this is what I got.
So far nothing picture worthy but hoping that will change before long.

Sunset Monti
Raspberry Nasuta
Bird of paradise birds nest
Apple Berry Monti
Rainbow monti
Sexy Corals Orange Passion
Blue tenuis
Oregon tort
Reef Raft Aussi blue and gold
And a couple others not yet identified but killer looking.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice list you have going so far!! I'd love to come see the tank sometime.

I just added some nice collector pieces so when they are ready for fragging I'll let you know!

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
clowninaround7474;369181 said:
Nice list you have going so far!! I'd love to come see the tank sometime.

I just added some nice collector pieces so when they are ready for fragging I'll let you know!
You are welcome any time. I just ordered a new kalk stirrer today which is kind of funny considering I sold the one I already had thinking I wasn't going to use it. so hopefully everything will start coming together.

Im needing to acclimate everything as as my par is about 550-600 where I want to place some of these.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Love your thread on your tank!!! Couple questions for you though.

1. On your QT what did you do with the air stone and the plumbing? Thoughts and reasoning on it?

2. What type of lens and setting do you use for taking pictures of your fish?

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Irishman;369262 said:
Love your thread on your tank!!! Couple questions for you though.

1. On your QT what did you do with the air stone and the plumbing? Thoughts and reasoning on it?

So for QT I use a simple sponge filter made of a small cylinder a filter sponge a 3/4" piece of pvc pipe and an air stone. I store my clean sponges in my sump to colonize them with good bacteria until they are ready to use. I also use Instant Ocean Bio Spira to add nitrifying bacteria back to the QT after each water change or tank transfel. The airstone in the 3/4" pipe pulls water down through the sponge exposing it to the bacteria colonies as well as trapping uneaten food and detritus. The plumbing pieces are just for hiding places for the fish. After each tank transfer I clean everything with a mild bleach solution and allow to dry for 48hrs before using it again.

2. What type of lens and setting do you use for taking pictures of your fish?
I go beween using a 100MM f2.8 macro and sometimes I use my 18-135mm f5.6 kit lens but I like using a faster lens of 2.8 or better for faster shutter speeds and blurred backgrounds. I use an off camera ETTL flash either hanging above the tank or being bounced through the tank at a 45deg angle.

I like to shoot at 1/160 or 1/200 shutter speed at f2.8 or lower and the lowest ISO I can go without drastically underexposing the picture. Usually thats around ISO 800. I will always opt to slightly under expose at a lower ISO and correct in post instead of going with a higher ISO that is more grainy.

All that said I am no photography pro. Heck ive only really gotten into photography with a DLSR camera 7 months ago. Right now this seems to be working pretty well but Im always learning and trying to find ways to make them better. I have seen way better shots thtn anything I have done on RC by people using cheaper glass than me so I know there is much room for improvement.