40 gallon breeder slow build up

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I am in the process of getting my old freshwater tank turned into a fowler/ reef tank, haven't decided yet. But anyways, I got the tank only a few months ago off of a trade, and I used it for freshwater for about three months. After those three months I had started to get more jealous of you guys and your tanks on here, so I wanted to give the 40 breeder a shot.

I got it up and running with a 20L sump (thanks deadrock) and I had been collecting sand for a bit from two guys (don't remember their avatars, but if you guys read this, thanks a ton for helping me out!). I got the tank up and running and there were no problems at all, no overflowing and everything works perfectly. I am just waiting to get the money raised up from selling off the freshwater stuff to get the live rock (thinking about 50lbs, but I would love input on how much you think I should get).

Last night I got two power heads from mike (thanks a ton tyson for picking them up, and thanks mike, they work awesome!) that are both rated around 700gph, one koralia and one other kind, don't remember. The pics will show it cloudy only because I had them set wrong and it disrupted the sand bed and made it re-cloudy.

My thing now is the canopy that I got from Pidge just about a week ago for free, and I am trying to decide if I should use it or not.

I also would like help in knowing what I can grow with my current lighting, it is 4x39w t5 with 4x1w led moonlights.

If you guys have input or suggestions, I am all ears and I will continue to post pictures as I make progress with the tank. View attachment 6398 View attachment 6397

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
[attachment=61449:name]

ok, so i took off the canopy and gave it to tyson (tlsrcs), everything has cleared up and he gave me some "pink wonder zoas" and some sort of brown paly with like 25-30 heads on it. He also gave me about 25-30lbs of live rock, but I will need more soon so if you guys (and you tyson as well haha) have any please don't hesitate to pm me

Punjab

Angel Fish
Hey this is looking good! If I had a canopy I'd use it but with t5 fixtures typically being so low I think your tank looks as good without one. If you have a dog or cat, the canopy would help keep hair out.
With your lighting setup I would say any softies and pretty much any LPS should do fine. There are definitely some SPS that will live but you won't be able to expect much growth. Just keep up on replacing the bulbs and I bet you are amazed at what you can keep.
It looks like you need a cleanup crew. I didn't see any hermits or snails.
If you and/or tlsrcs ever make it up to Fort Collins let me know! I've got a bunch of different zoas and palys I can give you guys frags of.

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah I really like the low profile look of the tank with the light on being that the light is only 2'' max height. I am thinking i am going down to catfish charlies in lafayette today to get some of the CUC started, and I am going to get some glue to frag some of the palys and if i can the pink zoas (maybe cat eyes) and dbtc them. I also will need more rock here soon. I know its a long list but it is getting there slowly, and now i am considering doing another small tank. This hobby just never ends, i always want another tank haha. I may try to get up to fort collins sometime, but if you are ever down in the longmont area I will gladly take some of the zoa frags, just let me know whenever you are down here

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
got some new things to share, some new photos and a new little shrimp i bought yesterday, along with 4 brown legged crabs and 10 more lbs of live rock

[attachment=61460:name]

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
new rock scape (thanks tyson for more rock haha). It's still a little cloudy but everything is settling. With the new rock scape I was able to run both the powerhead on opposite sides to get cross flow, and it isn't blowing my sand all over the place.

[attachment=61487:name]

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
So everying is now cleared up, but I had a large algae bloom on my glass. It actually looks like grass on my tank walls. How do I get rid of it?

[attachment=61563:name]

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Also forgot to add, I am thinking about doing a metal halide setup, maybe 1x250w or 2x150w setup. I don't really want to do leds becuase I really like the look metal halides produce. Do you think that that would be a good idea, or just stick with the t5's for now?

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
In my opinion the only reason j would go back to halides is if I was doing a sps. Tank...... I think you are good with t5s maybe supplement with a led stripstri