55 reef RIP

bsharpe

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
Sorry for your loss. I do have a question- Did the 90 gallon cycle for a month before the move or just the water switch from the 55?

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Pisces II;281251 said:
Sorry for your loss. I do have a question- Did the 90 gallon cycle for a month before the move or just the water switch from the 55?
It was just a move. All stuff from the 55g moved into a 90g. No new rock or anything except sand. 50% new water and 50% old water.
You remember the 55g tank upstairs? All of that in that tank died.

bsharpe

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
OMG Mike,
That is horrible, I even showed a pic of that awesome tank to Heather at Elite Reef and she loved it. So sad. I will send the pic to you.

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mike (PM on it's way). I have a ton of frags I can give you, if she decides to start over. It sounds as if you could use the same rock/sand/equipment, just might need to go through another cycle. If you'd like, I can give you some cheap zoas to test in the tank, after the water tests ok.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
asn-naso;281256 said:
Mike (PM on it's way). I have a ton of frags I can give you, if she decides to start over. It sounds as if you could use the same rock/sand/equipment, just might need to go through another cycle. If you'd like, I can give you some cheap zoas to test in the tank, after the water tests ok.
Thanks Alan. Sounds like she is pretty adamant about getting rid of all of it. I keep trying to talk her into starting over but she is really heartbroken and angry. I don't think Carole will give in.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I know how she feels. Takes me a few days to step back from it and get some perspective. I try to avoid making decisions when I'm really angry and/or frustrated. Hopefully she changes her mind, but I understand if she doesn't.

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Someone should put together a guide to moving a tank seems like a this happens a lot. Sad to see it chase off a hobbyist.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have moved a lot of tanks...Some far distances...and have never experienced this.

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Only time I've seen this quick of a decline was heater got stuck on. And sorry I wasn't implying that you have no experience fact is this happens to many experienced reefers so figuring out why and how to prevent would be a nice way to help some reefers not loose tanks like this.

HondaHound

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
So sorry to hear! We've all had one thing or another happen, but I am glad to see so much support for each other. Hope she changes her mind after a few days...

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
HondaHound;281281 said:
So sorry to hear! We've all had one thing or another happen, but I am glad to see so much support for each other. Hope she changes her mind after a few days...
+1

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The only safe way to move tanks is to set them both up and take 2-3 months, or longer if needed, to slowly move the rock, coral and fish from the old tank to the new. A vicious, quick cycle can happen if you disturb the oxic/anoxic parts of the rock/sand and all that it takes is one coral to die that will kill two more, then those two kill four, those four kill eight, and so on. You end up killing the bacteria that you need to help stave off the cycle... so the bacteria death fuels the cycle and is not around to work their magic - the worst possible kind of outcome. I know that this is hardly helpful now, but maybe it will help somebody else.

You can kinda get away with going fast if you move a tank and leave the bottom rock in the sand and just remove the upper rock, but even then it is risky. ...but then again, some people also have no issues moving a tank all in 1 day. I would not risk it.