A reminder to us all about Palytoxin poisoning

Yikes. I had no idea palys could poison you!! I thought they just released toxins to other corals or something. Really happy I saw this

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah, they sure can. I got nailed a while back via a cut in my hand, and it was awful.

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Can be life threatening under the right conditions. Do a search for the guy that boiled some rock and aerosolized the toxin. Almost killed himself, his wife, his kid, and two dogs.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Blindrage;286425 said:
Can be life threatening under the right conditions. Do a search for the guy that boiled some rock and aerosolized the toxin. Almost killed himself, his wife, his kid, and two dogs.
Holy crap. Just wow.

goslugsgo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
rlklassy;286417 said:
Yikes. I had no idea palys could poison you!! I thought they just released toxins to other corals or something. Really happy I saw this
Ancient Hawaiians used it on the tips of their spears and it was quite effective.

blacklabz

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;286407 said:
Yes even you can get toxin sprayed young Jedi!!!!

Remember to always use glasses when cutting zoas and plays. I recently got blasted/squirted in the eye when cutting some zoas with out eye protection. I have a red eye and it is a tad sore, but thankfully no other symptoms that im aware. This happened Tuesday evening and the pic is from today, so its been almost 48 hrs and my eye is still irritated.

Moral of the story......always wear glasses when cutting palys and zoas!!!!!

You may want to see a doctor. Mine just continued to get worse until I got antibiotics. Drops did nothing, had to get a stronger antibiotic that was in gel form. Lots of fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Ya might have too but due to recent healthcare changes I am now a happy Kaiser Permanente customer so that is easier said than done I fear :(

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have said it before..........When cutting zoas and palys wear gloves and eye protection. Remember people have died from these toxins.

blacklabz

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;286466 said:
Ya might have too but due to recent healthcare changes I am now a happy Kaiser Permanente customer so that is easier said than done I fear :(
I am with Kaiser as well, they did a great job. I just called and told them it was getting worse quick and got right in. The doc was fascinated, so I got all the attention in the world.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

goslugsgo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;286466 said:
I've found Kaiser in Colorado to be exceptional. How it will be with the looming changes I have no idea.