Added a predator tank

dweeb

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have two tanks now... a 120 reef tank, and a 60 cube, which I've just started as a saltwater predator tank.

The only predator I have is a 1.5" Clown Trigger, and anticipate adding a grouper and eel (adding them when very small).

Starting to see some hair algae in that pred tank now, and am turning the lights off most of the time.

But, that got me thinking: couldn't I put a larger hippo tank (I have one in my reef tank) to take care of that, if even on a temporary basis?

The clown trigger is very small, and only been in there for 2 weeks. I don't THINK he'd be too nippy.

Also looking for fun, colorful suggestions for the predator tank.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
A grouper is a big no no in that size tank (they require 250+ gallons) as are any tangs even a kole,, which is the smallest of all tangs (that requires at minimum a 4ft long tank of at least 75 gallons). A foxface might be okay and a dwarf lion might also be okay. The eel should be fine as long as you get a smaller species, add some PVC tunnels for it, and use a tight fitting cover.

dweeb

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow. You should tell that to the MILLIONS of people who have tangs in their <120 gallon tanks. I have two tangs (purple, blue hippo) in my 120, and they're the healthiest fish I own.

Starting out with a 2" grouper, it will get big...then I'll trade it off.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you will give the fish away to a good home, then I feel that people can be effective stewards of a fish. The problem is that money gets in the way and a sale/trade places the fish in harm's way since the money comes before the good home.

All of that said, there are not too many places that will want large groupers.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow. You should tell that to the MILLIONS of people who have tangs in their <120 gallon tanks. I have two tangs (purple, blue hippo) in my 120, and they're the healthiest fish I own.

Starting out with a 2" grouper, it will get big...then I'll trade it off.
Tangs can do fine in a 120g or 125g tank because it just wide enough that they can turn and it's more than 4ft long (minimum dimensions for any tang are 18" wide min and 4ft long min if there is minimal aquascape, the exact gallon amount is irrelevant). A 60 gallon cube is a whole different story. There is no length to swim and they get super aggressive and die in a couple years tops. A grouper is even worse because even your 120g would be way too small for it. A 60 gal cube for a grouper is like forcing a person to live in a closet their entire life and never letting them out. I can respect someone putting a tang is a slightly undersized tank like a blue tang in a 75 gallon and rehoming it when it hits 6in, but a grouper in a 60 cube is just a bad idea all around regardless of purchase size and even a tang in a 60 cube is not ethical to the animals. It doesn't matter how many ignorant people have done it (most very unsucessfully), it's just wrong.

Sent from my SM-G935V using MASC mobile app