Anemone ID

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anyone know how to identify anemones? I've got one that isn't what it was sold to me as. My clown hosted it within 10 hrs. My lights are t5 coral plus/blue plus and tentacles are purplish in color.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
When I got my green bubble tip it was purple like this from being stressed out. Once it was happy it eventually colored up to the green with purple tips. What was it sold to you as?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anemone ID

SynDen;362639 said:
When I got my green bubble tip it was purple like this from being stressed out. Once it was happy it eventually colored up to the green with purple tips. What was it sold to you as?
Rainbow nem. Definitely isn't but it didn't cost much at all cause the guy was tearing down his tank.
This is my rainbow for "comparison" (same tank):

Last edited by a moderator:

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anemone ID

scchase;362644 said:
Need to see the base
It is attached under a rock at the moment between two rocks. This is the best I could do with Crappy iPhone pics:

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
scchase;362741 said:
Bta the almost 100%
Thanks! Glad to have an ID on it.

The blues don't help but are you talking about the same one I got from him? Mine never got purple like that. Weird. Blues don't help in the pic but you have seen it.

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
In my opinion, the term "rainbow anemone" is applied to nearly any BTA that has morphed into a coloration that doesn't fit the description of a rose, green, sunburst or any of the other fancy names out there. That's definitely a BTA of some sort though it looks like it's faded some from its natural colors. Could be a rainbow or rose.

mikejrice;364943 said:
In my opinion, the term "rainbow anemone" is applied to nearly any BTA that has morphed into a coloration that doesn't fit the description of a rose, green, sunburst or any of the other fancy names out there. That's definitely a BTA of some sort though it looks like it's faded some from its natural colors. Could be a rainbow or rose.
I'd tend to agree. Although, when I look to buy stuff I look at my rating sheet and as long as the "cool/beautiful" and "not absurdly expensive" boxes are checked I'm in. If a $200 item doesn't provide a life changing impact compared to the $40 item, it's out. After all, 90% of viewers of my tank are the same 4 people.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
mikejrice;364943 said:
Which is weird because I have other "rainbows" under the same lighting/tank that look amazing. This one has definitely faded and not sure why. It's in another tank now so will see if that makes a difference.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
yes thats true about many being called rainbow, but honestly I think all BTA are a morph of the rainbow in the first place. It doesnt matter which color you get though they are all Entacmaea quadricolor

whatever BTA you got is looks pretty healthy and happy so I wouldnt be to concerned about it, Maybe in time it will take on its "true" colors