Any recommendations for a structural engineer?

Hi all,

We're in Parker, and looking to consult with someone before we pull the trigger on a reef tank. The problem is the place we'd like to put it would put the tank parallel to the joists. We'd like someone to help us figure out how much weight we could safely put there.

Thanks!
Brett

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
How big of a tank are you wanting to put in?
A general rule of thumb I have used is that 210g or less is fine without supports, but anything larger then that will need need added support. Since you running parallel to the joists I would go with slightly less the being about 180g being the most I would put without support

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
My general thought with most engineers is that they are more than happy to spend somebody else's money - needed or not. Has anybody ever met one that said "you are good?" Probably, but I have rarely met one. If anybody finds one of these good ones, then let me know. :)

You can probably do most of this yourself. Figure out the type of joist and span and google the load. There are differences between live and dead load. If you are close, then sister it up or add another one. If it is an engineered joist, then this is a bit harder, but still not impossible.

I had a friend who was right at the limit of a single 12 inch I joist. He could not get a 12" to slide in there, but got an 10" right next to it and then blocked it up flush to the floor and has more than enough weight bearing range now.

Any good GC should be able to handle a sistering, even if there is ductwork or electrical there.

Tank of about 12-15 pounds per gallon is an ok rough estimate... but nothing is perfect unless you weigh each piece (I like 600lb of live rock and you like 200lb, for example). Larger tanks weigh more, even by the gallon.

I agree with Syn, if this is less than a 180g, then you are likely fine. If you are talking like 350-400+, then I would nearly always put these on concrete regardless of joist and subfloor situation unless it was built just for this.

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Structural engineers aren’t cheap so unless you have an unusual situation like your house is 100 years old or something the advice that’s already been given is probably just fine. I build staircases and my SE typically charges about $800-$1000 to run calculations for a typical staircase just for my piece of mind. If it needs to be submitted to the city then it’s about $500 more. He just quoted me $5800 to run calculations on this staircase, since the glass will be supporting the treads.
15930BA0-2F72-485A-9631-36EF8E9025E3.jpeg

Ryan303

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here's another guy who is in parker. I had him look at my house and floor with the tanks. Chris Carter with Structure Check at 303-841-5000

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
I used upwork to get bids from structural engineers for my tank. Very easy process. Highly recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used upwork to get bids from structural engineers for my tank. Very easy process. Highly recommend.
Thanks for the recommendation. I’ve never used that service before but it looks interesting. I’ve got someone coming out in a couple weeks, but if he doesn’t work out, then I’ll give UpWork a try.

So far he sounds pretty good. He’s got a tank himself (a 75 gallon freshwater), and has helped his friends with their tanks.