Back with a new tank

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Back with a new tank

A few things happened in the last few weeks. I have lost both my clowns, I woke up this morning and they were on their sides on the sand gasping for air, and then they died later tonight. What could that be? All my fish have either jumped or died, but all the corals are doing great, minus the one I got from plumcrazy because I guess my emerald didn't like that one coral and decided to eat it...

Still battling GHA really bad, I had bought an aquatic life 115 skimmer and it is almost broken in, so hopefully that helps with the excess nutrients. Also the chaeto is growing like mad, so those are two pluses to this tank.

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Back with a new tank

I'll try that soon, I just need to wait for my paycheck before I can keep spending, stupid gas is so expensive it's hard for a teenager to be able to buy anything!!

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Back with a new tank

Dr.HarlemTutu;250916 said:
Plus 1 and nice scape!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! When I bought the tank from Jahmic, I tried to keep it the way he had it. It makes placing coral a little tough but I am thinking mushrooms on the branch may look cool, with Xenia/weeds on the right and zoas on the left

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
matt.radich;250911 said:
A few things happened in the last few weeks. I have lost both my clowns, I woke up this morning and they were on their sides on the sand gasping for air, and then they died later tonight. What could that be? All my fish have either jumped or died, but all the corals are doing great, minus the one I got from plumcrazy because I guess my emerald didn't like that one coral and decided to eat it...

Still battling GHA really bad, I had bought an aquatic life 115 skimmer and it is almost broken in, so hopefully that helps with the excess nutrients. Also the chaeto is growing like mad, so those are two pluses to this tank.
Bummer to hear about the fish dying. WHat else did you observe? Spots, slime coat, behavior in the days before...How long did you have them, and had you recently added any fish...sounds like they were exposed to a disease...or maybe you have a culprit in the tank...

Fish tend to jump, especially if they're stress. Some kinds are known jumpers, but almost any kind of fish can jump.

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Back with a new tank

Didn't notice anything at all, I hadn't added any fish after them. My first clown was doing the same thing and I moved him to my 10 gallon and now he is doing great... I'm not sure what that could be. Maybe I should try a cheaper fish and see if it lives before buying something more expensive

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Maybe have your water tested at an LFS- test kits have been known to go bad, and you may have something going on with your chemistry that isn't showing up.
Is there any possibility of stray electricity in the water? Don't ask me why, but that's what I look for when inexplicable stuff is happening with a tank.

REALLY nice scape ya got there.

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Back with a new tank

It's possible, I just bought a new heater so I don't think that's it, so unless it's from the skimmer, powerheads or something else I'm not sure. And thanks for the compliment! Maybe I will have the water tested though...

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would. If I have something like this happening, and my tests don't show anything hinky, I backcheck them at an LFS. As for fishy jumpers, I'd get a screen kit from BRS (the clear plastic screen material and actual screen trim stuff) and cover that puppy so they stop doing potato chip impersonations.
If you hadn't had the other clown recover when you moved him, I'd wonder if you had Marine Velvet. Most folks don't notice that anything is wrong until their fish are laying on the bottom gasping for air, and by that time it's too late. Taking him out of the tank and having him recover negates that possibility, however.