buildmyled.com? Also general LED and help a fool questions.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Been doing alright with my own research on my own things bumbling along, but lighting/electronics that kind of thing hurt my head to even think about and could use a bit of a helping hand with.

Alright, I knew LED's pricey, but looking like Radions far crazier than I thought. I'm limited on tools and such but I know enough electrical people and looking at some stuff DIY for LED seems within my reach possibly. From a few of the national forums I was turned onto rapidLED which appears probably not as cheap as some, but also just very neat/convenient and quality? Doesn't appear to sell any kind of fixture for putting the leds in?

I also found my buildmyled.com, which under the premade aquarium sections seems to have very nice fixtures at a good price? Anyone know if these are actually garbage? http://www.buildmyled.com/reef-led-lights/
As far as the 3 premade options, I'm not sure does the super actininic blues give enough light? made it sound like you need 2 fixtures, but then maybe too much light? (Dimming I guess) In general with colors not sure what I need. With what I have now, I know I absolutely love at night looking at my corals with just a blue led in tank strip on. But the pure blue light seems a bit too much blue washout like you spilled ink in the tank? Can I get a more normal spectrum that still has enough blue and some green/red to get good pop on colors? (Videos are hard, hoping to see good examples at reefstock if I can make it or some store. I'm starting to lean towards doing black gravel w/ my black background to get good contrast.) They do have a neat choose your own build. (Seems to be limited on longer bars to be identical 12 inch strips rather than pucks/clusters)

I know LED info can get outdated quick with some of the changes. I've seen some threads 1.5 yrs old that are contradicted by 4 month old ones. So I don't know if either of my 2 options above are good, and from there choosing right blend of lights and maybe what's a good current info thread online somewhere to get good research.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Interesting. Aren't micromols what PAR meters measure? If so, those look like they have already have PAR measurements. Again with the assumption, these would make very nice moonlights

Last edited by a moderator: