Chalice (Echinophyllia) Fragging 101

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Methodology:

The method I use for fragging the majority of hard corals is primarily the same with the cutting tooling being an Inland band saw.

Cooling liquid used is fresh mixed saltwater with enough iodine to color it a light amber. This helps to disinfect cuts as they're made which has shown to greatly increase frag survival.

All corals are stored during cutting in a small bucket holding water taken directly from their home aquarium. This water is used both to keep them wet as well as for rinsing any flesh away from cuts while I'm working on them.

All finished, and rinsed, frags or trimmed colonies are soaked in Brightwell Aquatics Restor dip to insure that minimal flesh is lost.

Both soak buckets are rinsed and replenished between colonies to reduce the risk of interactions between loose flesh of different coral species.

Notes about Chalice (Echinophyllia):

Chalice corals have some of the most delicate of skeletal structures which means that extreme care must be taken throughout the process from the time of cutting to when frags are secured to plugs or other mounts. Many of the structures within the flesh are free floating and must be maintained in their original position to guarantee the survival of the coral.

Value of chalice frags is often set by the quantity of eyes included, so don't devalue them by cutting them in half.

As with all LPS corals, survival and growth rate after fragging can be greatly increased by avoiding as many polyps as possible while cutting.

Cuts are sped up 8x

If there's a specific species of coral that you would like to see cut up, feel free to comment in this thread or send me a PM.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;277659 said:
Is there a post for fragging fungias?
I thought that was as simple as cutting them into 1 inch squares with scissors. DO NOT try that without confirmation from someone with a lot more experience though!

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use stainless steel bone cutters for all sps. I'd gladly use a saw if I had access to or owned one. Great documentation for sure!!!!!

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
DyM;291118 said:
I use stainless steel bone cutters for all sps. I'd gladly use a saw if I had access to or owned one. Great documentation for sure!!!!!

Might check with Mike and see if he can order you one :) If I remember right they cost about $300 and work awesome!

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's been awhile since I've gotten into a nice chalice for frags. Might be almost time to get into my personal tank. Things are getting tight!

For now, here's some more chalice eye candy.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk