Chillers what brand and which size?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So I currently am running a 1/3 hp current chiller on the 360 but it just can't keep up on weekends. I have thought about running fans but haven't gotten any yet. What are you guys running and what would you suggest. I have heard good things about several brands but they are pricey for the size I need. I lost a bunch of my more sensitive corals this summer to the heat and I don't want to lose any more.

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I'd try the fan method first. Just another piece of equipment to fail. How much are you needing to drop the temp on the weekends? No AC in the school then?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
The AC goes off at about 2:45-3:00 everyday and is off all weekend.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I will have to monitor I am not sure how high it gets right not.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I use clip fans on my tank and they work great. You might want something a bit bigger but keep a couple fans pointed at the water as it flows past the moving air and it will cool it just about as well as the chiller at a fraction of the cost, but doesn't look as clean and nice as a plumbed in chiller.
I keep my fans programmed with the apex. They kick on anytime the temp gets warmer then the seasonal average temp, the tank is supposed to sit at.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
MuralReef;358880 said:
I will have to monitor I am not sure how high it gets right not.
This tank doesn't have a controller? Can the school tech guys run a cable from the apex to his tank? Control a few things like heaters, fans and lights. You'd be able to check from home or check the log on Mondays.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I have an apex but between school and track season I haven't had time to set it up yet.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
The apex can help a lot in this problem, and you can set the programs from home too if need be. I can help too if you need.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Target had clip on fans for $6 so I grabbed 2 I'm planning on getting them going tomorrow.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just picked up 4x 6 inch fans from Bed bath and beyond and it dropped down to 72 degrees and I turned them off before it got too low.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Added 2 fans this morning. All halides are on and I have dropped .5 degrees in less than an hour!

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a big drop in chiller that you can borrow. I don't need it yet, and am not sure I will need it. Drop me a line....

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Fans made all the difference yesterday. I ran them on the same timer as my t-5 fixture and the temp this morning was 75 so I'm trying them on low instead of high today.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
szavoda;359015 said:
I have a big drop in chiller that you can borrow. I don't need it yet, and am not sure I will need it. Drop me a line....
I think the fans will be sufficient for now. Plus I already owe you one!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
szavoda;359015 said:
I think the fans will be sufficient for now. Plus I already owe you one!