Contemplating a new skimmer

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I know that I need to upgrade my skimmer mine is too small for my tank and as things begin to grow it will be a problem. Plus I am sick of cleaning every other day. At Reefstock I saw the Hydor and CAD Lights Aquariums skimmers and they both looked pretty good but I would like some opinions or testimonials. I am currently running a 225 g with an old 55 and 30 g as sump and fuge. Any have or seen these in action? I'd really like to not break the bank and am limited on space between the top of my sump and the bottom of my tank so external is also a good option and the Hydor could go either way.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

I have cadlights like the skimmer due to smaller footprint however it's hard to get in and out because my stand just is not high enough. I have the Tia 1150. Don't know anything about the other one you mentioned but the cadlights one can pull really liquidy or super thick just depends on where you want it. When I say thick I mean sludge barely any liquid at all.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I got a marinland 300 skimmer and love the thing, small foot print, easy to clean and empty, very sleak and works great, I can dry or wet skim with it and the price was right.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Contemplating a new skimmer

I'm a big fan of bubble magus skimmers. I also like seaside aquatics skimmers as they are bubble magus with sicce pumps. Sicce just came out with their own skimmers which were at reefstock. all have small footprints.....

Sent from my C771

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mrc has some sweet external Skimmers. ASM makes good performers. Actually, Dr.HarlemTutu is currently selling his modded ASM g3. If you want want to break the bank, used is the way to go.

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President

H2O_intolerant;233596 said:
Mrc has some sweet external Skimmers. ASM makes good performers. Actually, Michael.lemke is currently selling his modded ASM g3. If you want want to break the bank, used is the way to go.
Thanks man!
I just got the cadlights. IMO very close to the same performance to the asm. Cadlights is a bit quieter, and uses less power. Bubble Magnus gets good reviews for the price.

Also my username has changed. Lol

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member

Dr.HarlemTutu;233607 said:
Also my username has changed. Lol
My bad, I changed the post accordingly.....BAHAHAHAHA!

On a more focused note, ReefDynamics is also a decent skimmer....well if you liked the old Euro Reef stuff.

An underrated skimmer comes from our own AquaMedic, check out the turbofloter line. And you can get them pretty cheap.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've got a bad vertex in-250 I'm selling. Awesome skimmer just to big for my stand. It's hard to get the cup out from under my stand. So I changed. It's cleaned and ready to go. Xtra pump.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I have looked at both of your skimmers and I know they would be big enough for now, but what do you guys think in the long haul. Eventually I imagine that as my corals grow and I add more fish and inverts it will equate to a heavy bio load wouldn't you agree. Plus I may have the same height as you with the Vertex. I will measure in the morning. Thanks for the feedback guys.

I've posted here before about my new Skimmer from cad, I have to say I really love it super Skimmer can't say enough about it pics for proof this is after three days of dropping it in also if you email Eddie and talk to him he might be still willing to give you the reef stock deal

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I got the same deal but bought so much I ending up getting the nano reactor free I ended up with two skimmers one being the pipeless, two large reactors, two nano reactors, and a led light great company dint know if Dave from aquaMart ever did anything but they were talking about stocking their product. again Eddie is a great guy to deal with willing to help out. don't know ifhe will do the deal but never hurts to ask

I guess Eddie and Dave where going to meet after RS and talk about AM carrying their products, the prices were right along with a quality product. I hope it happens would really be nice

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So Bumblebee and Dr. Harlem what did you guys think in terms of your skimmers meeting my needs long term. I ask because for a medium to heavy load both of your skimmers were about topped out for my set up. And I did the measurements I only have 30" total under my tank. I may have to look at external versus in sump.

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President

I'm really starting to like mine. It's beating out my old asm after break in. Also truely quiet. I have the medium one on the 120. Sps heavy load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President

Plus I think it is only 21" tall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
So talked w am and yes they are going to start carrying cad light! But they don't have any skimmers in stock. Also talked w Eddie at cad light, and rs prices were o ly for rs! I bought the 1050 for 235 shipped thought it was a old deal still!