Controllability of Lights/Controllers?

SquidBreath

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey guys!
Was weighing some new light choices, and I am torn between Radion and the new AI Hydras.
Will be using an APEX controller on this tank and my goal is to give the critters as close to a "real" sunrise and sunset as possible. Sun-Moon-Night that would mirror what they would be experiencing on a real reef.

The Hydras won't interface with the Apex from what I have been reading--they have their own controller. They are cheaper, for sure, but if I can get this level of light cycle precision I want to try.

But--question for you Apex users out there--does the apex support granular enough programming to simulate calendar-informed day-night-moon cycles?
ie. can I program the Apex with enough granularity to make the light cycles match up with reality?

Any tips much appreciated.
Thanks!
Dave

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't own the AIs, so I can't comment on their programming...but I known with the Radions, that capability is built into their PC software. You wouldn't need the Apex to simulate sunrise/sunset or moon cycles...my Radion isn't even hooked up to my Apex and does all of that independently.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Apex dose have a sunrise and sunset time also seasonal that adjust. Apex is coming out with a new module for the new ai leds also their new cloud software called fusion. which is going to be nice.

KCCO

SquidBreath

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow! Thanks for the replies guys!
Great news about the apex controlling the AIs! Now I can have my cake and eat it too.
The question then becomes which has the better light quality.
I do like the Radion's ability to control all the color channels independently...

Not crazy about the cloud. I guess we will have to see exactly how dependent the unit is on these Radion servers being up.