CRW Reef - 29 Biocube Frag Tank

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Well the plot thickens and the addiction has got much worse :D Due to tank stretchers being on back order, my seemingly never ending, no end in site and ridiculous addiction to zoas; I have
picked up a 29 rimless Biocube which will be evolving into my new zoa grow out/frag tank.

Lighting:
Thecube came with and current has a Coralife HQI hang on light with a diy blue led strip. My plan is to take this off and replace it with a hanging Reefkoi 120w 20k Evolution.

Filtration:
I plan to fully mod the filtration system as I go, but will start off with sand only in the dt and live rock rubble in the second chamber. I also plan to throw all of my macro algaes into the dt as well (currently only have dragons breathe).

Equipment:
1x vortech mp10
Jager 150w heater

Corals:
Well my plan is to mainly house zoas and struggling other corals from my main tank, but I'm sure that will only last so long.

Livestock:
Not sure yet which ones, but I only want 2 fish max. 1 algae eater and 1 parasite eater.
Naturally my first thoughts are a 6 line or a green coris wrasse, for pests and parasites. Then getting either a starry blenny, lawn mower blenny or a micro yellow tang knowing I will have to swap them out rather quickly. Def would encourage any thoughts on better choices for sure.

Well with out further ado..... Here is the tank as of this evening.

coloagro

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is your wife gonna kill you before you add more rocks and fish ;-) glad to see it buddy! I love the rimless biocube! Hadn't seen that b4! You do have an addiction to zoas... But it could be worse :)

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
coloagro;185134 said:
Is your wife gonna kill you before you add more rocks and fish ;-) glad to see it buddy! I love the rimless biocube! Hadn't seen that b4! You do have an addiction to zoas... But it could be worse :)
I know can you believe it? I actually got the ok to get more rocks that I out in water, so long as it went in the basement :D

As far as the rimless, I love it as I will actually be able to look at my tank top down now lol. However open air (exposed to dust and debris) makes me nervous as heck. May have to get some kind of custom clear top made I think.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you wanted to just get an acrylic top, I know plasticare will cut one to spec for you. I've gone to them in the past and have been more than happy with the results. Dunno about cutting an accurate, rounded edge for the bowed front, but they do also offer precision laser cutting if you wanna dig into your pockets ;)

On another note...I give it 3 months before your "frag tank" looks sicker than my display, lol.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I give it 3 weeks.

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I give it two weeks it will be packed you may as well buy my 250 gallon it would atleast take you 3 months to pack it full ;-)

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Come on now guys its going to be a frag tank not a DT :silentbob:

nothing to fancy and nothing very pretty Im sure lol

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;185240 said:
Come on now guys its going to be a frag tank not a DT :silentbob:

nothing to fancy and nothing very pretty Im sure lol
Yeah exactly my point that little bio cube will be packed and you still won't be able to tell you moved anything out of the display so they wil both be packed in three weeks

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
You're right NM Delete the thread, cancel the build and the thread!!!! Im going to get a monster 250 gallon tank to use as a frag tank :target:

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;185243 said:
You're right NM Delete the thread, cancel the build and the thread!!!! Im going to get a monster 250 gallon tank to use as a frag tank :target:
Seems about right. Craig can even help you plumb them both into the same sump.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I thought you wanted to take up snorkling and have a place to teach the little one to swim? LOL

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Well first couple corals in to "test" the waters. Only a couple frags of green implosions, small frag of blue hammer, small chunk of gsp and a chunk of flame algae.

Not a great pic but shows progression lol

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you would sell me some of the zoas you wouldn't need it but it's like asking for a kidney from you lmao.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't see the blue hammer.

Looks good though.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Amazing progress, I know but here is my next update shot. Moving along semi slow and with caution just to see how the biocube acts and reacts as far as H2O evap, temp and ph swings. Seems like its stable and the waster is good, so I have been adding a few frags slowly. Hoping to get my custom acrylic frag rack system built and installed in the next week +/-. Once thats done Ill prob start loading it up fairly quickly :)