cutting plexi glass

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I need some serious help cutting plexi glass...i have tried the score and snap and it just does not work. i was wondering if somebody has the tools to cut plexi/acrylic all the peices are relitvely small.. it is for a small protein skimmer. please help i need it to be done right so it does not leak...

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Utility knife and straight edge, the trick is having a really sharp knife....and a straight score.

The dremel sucks....learned that from experience.

Think Melev uses a table saw for cuts and a file to even out the edges so you can glue it.

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
hhmm yea i have a square and i bought i new razor blade but still no luck the peices are too small i think and it is just bending to much and snapping in the wrong places

If your using small pieces use a solid edge either wood metal whatever u got to help even the pressure.

Basically make a sandwich with your acry in the middle. Makes it a lot easier to snap small pieces.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
How small are we talking?
How thick is it?

When you come to get the frag from me I can help you cut it, I have a small circular saw that goes through it with out too much grief.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
you dont need a special blade for a skill saw, just sandwich and clamp the plexi between 2 boards making sure the cut is between the wood, this will keep the plastic from fracturing, another method is to make an extremely shallow cut, almost exactly the width of the plexi.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use a super fine blade on a Makita 3" circular saw. the biggest pain for me was the heat, if you just let it walk through it doesnt get too bad

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The smallest piece is 1in by 2in the plexi is what ever you can get at good ol homedepot. Depending on time I may take you up on that offer projectx. I will have to get another sheet of plexi cause the one I got looks like a kindergarden collage protect!

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sounds good, how thick does this need to be, i have some pretty thin stuff that I can throw your way depending on how many peices you need in that size

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
projectx
How small are we talking?
How thick is it?

When you come to get the frag from me I can help you cut it, I have a small circular saw that goes through it with out too much grief.
it is the thin stuff they sell at HD so it can be pretty thin i think it is 1/8th maybe. i am making one of the wetworx skimmers......so its like 4in by 1in with 3 internal baffles it too about half of a sheet of very horribly cut plexi to make a very good leaking model! so Projectx if you have some i can just buy off you i would rather give you the money then give it to HD..........let me know what you think?

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
ok sweet that saves a trip there....i can never make a quick trip to HD. i ALWAYS find something to look at or buy. oh and it looks like i may be down there on the third. does that work ok? if not i am sure i can get there on a sat.

either a plexi glass scoring tool ($10 Home depot) used with a straight edge - multiple passes and you snap it off (ok cuts, but the snapping can cause a flawed edge and the scoring leaves a bevel or chamfer); any circular or table saw with a medium kerf triple chip blade (smooth cuts), or a router and a flush trim bit with the plex clamped down to a piece of wood that acts as a template for the size piece you want (super smooth cuts). Dremels melt the **** out of it and jigsaw cuts are a crappy way of doing it - running the risk of chipping and blade grabbing, etc.
Hope this helps.