Cutting rock

So as some of you know I have a ton of gsp, well I consider a ton in a small tank like mine lol but I'm wanting to just cut away all the gsp sections it has grown on. Which way is going to be the fastest an safest way. I don't have access to a chop or tile saw. I can Barrow a Dremel but each rock is roughly 6 to 8 pounds each and is real reef rock, which from research on forums is apparently the Superman of rock. Any tips and tricks is greatly appreciated and welcomed. Also would like to make the cuts as clean as possible so hammer and chisel is my last resort.

After cutting all gsp will be up for grabs to who ever wants some. Size could range from quarter to a healthy size chunk. Also have a decent sized sheet of it on my back glass if anyone wants the full section, don't feel like cutting it up. The mat on the back glass I'd say is 12 inches by at least 9 inches. Most of the gsp cut from the rocks will be neon green with white center but also have some nice dark green and purplish center on a combo rock.

Sent from my HD1907 using MASC mobile app

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
So as some of you know I have a ton of gsp, well I consider a ton in a small tank like mine lol but I'm wanting to just cut away all the gsp sections it has grown on. Which way is going to be the fastest an safest way. I don't have access to a chop or tile saw. I can Barrow a Dremel but each rock is roughly 6 to 8 pounds each and is real reef rock, which from research on forums is apparently the Superman of rock. Any tips and tricks is greatly appreciated and welcomed. Also would like to make the cuts as clean as possible so hammer and chisel is my last resort.

After cutting all gsp will be up for grabs to who ever wants some. Size could range from quarter to a healthy size chunk. Also have a decent sized sheet of it on my back glass if anyone wants the full section, don't feel like cutting it up. The mat on the back glass I'd say is 12 inches by at least 9 inches. Most of the gsp cut from the rocks will be neon green with white center but also have some nice dark green and purplish center on a combo rock.

Where are you located? I'd love a peice of the neon.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Easiest way to cut rock is with a wet band saw, but you can do it with a hack saw too. Just takes longer

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Real Reef is like cement, not aragonite... plan for the worst and get a blade made for mortar or tile or the like.

If you have time, you can "cook" the rock in a bucket and let the GSP die. Cook does not mean heat of stove - you can google it. It will take a few months, but it is comprehensive and the rock will stay in tact.

Yeah might just have to sit in front of a table vice for a few hours lol. Also was going to "cook" the rock but problem is the rock the gsp covers is 80% of my filtration lol so pulling all that for 6-12 weeks just isn't going to work this time. Thank you tho for your input and time taken.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Fluconazole will nuke the GSP, might be something to research. I believe it is other wise reef safe except for anthelia, GSP, clove polyps, those types. Supposedly safe on zoas, palys and LPS and SPS. But it seems dramatic, you'd want to research the heck out of it. I came across this when looking at ways to get rid of blue clove polyps in reef tank.

Edit: Might be fenbendazole

Last edited by a moderator: