Diablo DC 10500 Just Quit

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
7 Months. Not impressed. I guess that even after 15 years, there is nothing as good as an Ampmaster.

I updated a post on RC and lots of people are having issues with DC pumps around 6-9 months, regardless of brand... so buyer beware and have a backup plan. Thank goodness for heaters and powerheads in the tank... nothing even noticed.

I guess that I will see if they will replace it.

GiraffeCat

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mag Drive 12 has been turning for 6 years, and a 7 laying around for back up/cleaning. Scared of new tech for the basic stuff, glad you had in tanks stuff to save everyone.

Late,
GC

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Bah not good I was hoping to put some on the new 1200g build when I move to Denver to save some money on electricity each month, hope they get the problems worked out

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sorry you've been the tester for us all. Thanks for taking one on the chin.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm sure you know this but the DC pumps have a 2 year warranty, Coralvue should have no problem exchanging it. I would venture to guess for every one that goes bad they have countless others that last but maybe there is a quality control issue? I hope the latter is not the case, I have a DC pump on my skimmer and was going to buy the 10500 sometime this year. Sorry to hear about your misfortune :(

I do agree the mag pumps are built like tanks. I run a Mag18 on my 225 and I have had it for 4 or so years without a hitch.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is why I got a CoralVue instead of another kind... I'll see what they say. My next DC purchase might be German made, but I do have BNIB Ampmasters laying around that I might just drill and plumb up.

It was somewhat out of character for me to get one of these... I don't even like the 2ish years that I have gotten out of seals/bearings/motors on Sequence pumps and typically don't consider them reliable enough for my tastes. I am very old school, but I do have a dozen or two mag 9.5s, 12s and 18s laying around as well as 3 or 4 Ampmasters, so the risk was low for me. It just took me 5 minutes to get a Mag 12 going to the display upstairs and a 9.5 on the manifold. This is 192 watts (just checked with kill-a-watt) vs 89, but I am convinced that there are no savings when you consider that the mags will use that extra energy to heat the water. I love mags and will never sell one... they are so handy.

I have a DC 10500 on an octopus 350 skimmer which is still working fine. I hate the skimmer, but the pump and controller are OK.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
CoralVue is already sending me a new pump. It could not have been easier - screenshot of the receipt from email and serial number from the pump. This helps a little bit, but I still need this new pump to last for years and year.

Anyway, happy with CoralVue being super stand up... not so much on the pump yet, but I am keeping my mind open.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
New pump came without an issue. I didn't even have to send the old one in, so I have a backup impeller and controller. Outstanding support from CoralVue.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
German > Chineese any day. The next DC that I try will be German, or even American.

I am going to use this new pump, just not as a return... maybe on a beckett or downdraft, or something. I want to see how this one holds up.