Dosing Iodine?

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
So I have a coral banded shrimp in my 29g that just molted last night. That's the second time he's molted in the month I've had him. No problems with the molting, he's doing just fine.

My question is this - 10 years ago when I was last in this hobby, I had a shrimp not successfully molt. At the time, the wisdom was that you were supposed to dose iodine if you had shrimp in order to make sure they molted successfully. My shrimps legs never made the transition, so he was unable to move and died about a week later.

My husbandry skills are much better now, and I'm doing consistent weekly water changes of 4-5g on my tank with instant ocean salt. Is the salt going to have enough in it to help the shrimp continue to molt successfully? Or should I start with the iodine. Do people still do that anymore?

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Also - I have two green emerald crabs in the tank. One has molted in the last week. Do I need to be doing anything special for them? I've never kept them before. (I actually thought it was dead when I saw the empty exoskeleton)

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
I agree. No point in dosing iodine as its such a small amount thats needed which is replaced by water changes. Also testing of it is very hard because of the multiple forms it can take. RHF has a good article on the pro's and con's.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Sweet. I'll look it up. I'm always partial to not dosing if I don't have to. But I also want my shrimp (and crabs, I'm assuming) to be able to molt successfully. Apparently they're all going through growth spurts