Drilling a 150 gallon-soon-to-be predator tank

BryanF

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
For the last year or two I attempted a predator reef tank in my 125. My clown trigger made SPS of any kind impossible and my harlequin grouper is an a-hole bully with more passive fish so I decided to turn the 125 back into a true reef and do a FOWLR (although Im sure softies will make their way in there) for the predators.

I got a great deal on a 150 gallon tank with a decent View attachment 13758 View attachment 13759 stand which was being used for freshwater.

BryanF

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
First thing I did was buy the Glass-Holes 1500 drill kit with two return. All of the glass-holes accessories seem to be really high quality. And they give you a piece of candy which my kids enjoyed.

[attachment=64435:name]

SLewis

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice. another Fowler guy.... What else are you going to put in there besides the grouper and clown trigger?

BryanF

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
SLewis;245815 said:
Nice. another Fowler guy.... What else are you going to put in there besides the grouper and clown trigger?
From my current tank two niger triggers and a porcupine puffer. On my wish list is a nice eel and a Harlequin tusk.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
nice! can't wait to see this tank.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
i saw in your welcome post that you used to have a volitans. what happened to that guy?

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
Be really careful, glass tanks that big are almost always tempered glass. You can't drill tempered glass.

BryanF

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Drilling a 150 gallon-soon-to-be predator tank

daverf;245888 said:
i saw in your welcome post that you used to have a volitans. what happened to that guy?
Funny you should ask about the lion. He stung the crap out of my hand a while back, painful as hell. He was on Craigslist the next day!

BryanF

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I bought a 54ish gallon sump and Little Giant 4 MDQX-SC return pump from Rob (rmougey) and an Eco Plus ¼ HP chiller from Ross (oscarxj). This tank will be in a simi-outdoor room which gets hot in the summer so a chiller is a must.

[attachment=64442:name]

I drilled the sump first to get some confidence. I did a bunch of research online and everyone recommended to keep the bit wet so I ran the hose the entire time. Drilling the sump was a piece of cake, took maybe 5 minutes. Threw on the bulkhead and the things hold water!

[attachment=64439:name]

I called the manufacturer to make sure none of the panels on my tank are tempered and learned I was good to go. Glass-holes instructions are very good. Biggest issues are to keep the bit wet and let the drill to the work, don’t put too much pressure on the glass. Each hole on the 150 took at least a half hour because the glass is so thick. Other than just having to wait to grind out the glass, the drilling process was very easy and Im not a handy DIY guy.

[attachment=64446:name]

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Drilling a 150 gallon-soon-to-be predator tank

That's awesome Bryan! I know it must feel good to accomplish that! Soon there will be water!

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Latest post...nice work...good to see the progress.

Hand shot/lion...yowza. I've got 2 10" guys, maybe I'll have a post like that one day...

Question - what sizes volitans/grouper/porc puffer did you have together? Did you see that these 3 didn't have any compatibility issues?
I'd love to add a polleni and porc to my tank (with said lions, coris wrasse, harlequin tusk, engineer goby)...but don't want to muck things up after adding/pulling dozens of fish already...including a porc...

BryanF

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
When I first got my lion he was only about 6 inches long but he doubled in size in about a year. He was really passive with all the fish, just not with his owner! My porcupine is about 6 - 8 inches long and has never been a compatibility issue with any of the fish. The grouper is by far the most aggressive, he never messed with the lion or the triggers but has just recently began nipping at tangs and the porcupine.

Dave, I see you run biopellets on your fish only system, Im considering doing the same. Any advice with them??

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hopefully the grouper doesn't turn into a terror. They are awesome fish.

I took biopellets offline about a month ago, and when I get around to reconfiguring my sump, I'll add them back. They're kind of controversial as you've probably seen, if you researched them at all. My opinion, you can't go wrong in using them on a fish only system (most controversy is with whether they cause major problems with corals, I think). Especially with messy predators. I don't think they're a substitute for water changes or skimming, but I think they help uptake the nitrates/phosphates (naturally) so they are not used by other nuisance growth (cyano, algae etc).

For biopellets, I just suggest you build up slowly over time, as the products usually recommend,since going too fast can cause a bacterial bloom and those do get nasty. It doesn't hurt to have less biopellets than you need, but more than you need is always asking for big trouble. I took mine offline because I did get a bacterial bloom in my tank (cloudy water), which I attribute to my DIY setup not tumbling all the pellets consistently. I'll probably buy a reactor when I get them back online.

At the moment, my favorite nitrate reduction technique is my sulfur reactor. I was out of country for almost one month, with my parents to come by my house and do tank feedings, filter changes, ATO/skimmer stuff. I left at 5ppm Nitrates, came back to 80. My bluehead wrasse didn't survive, so my best guess is the harlequin tusk gave it a death blow and it died under a rock or something. So anyway, my point is, the sulfur reactor still had effluent coming out at 0ppm Nitrate.

BryanF

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Quick update on this project.. Im planning to set up a rubble bottom on this tank so I have my rubble and about 200 lbs of rock prepping in the basement. To deal with detritus collection I will have PVC under the rubble hooked to a mag 7 to provide constant flow (hopefully blowing all the junk out).

[attachment=64504:name]

Installed the overflow box and returns as well as the drains to my funky square filter socks. If all goes well I may have water in the next week or so.

[attachment=64507:name]

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Very nice work!

Interesting plan for the detritus collection. Under gravel filter ish. Seems this would push detritus into the no flow pockets under the rubble? If you could plan the flow so it just blows it all into a corner, now that would be awesome. Anyway...it will interesting to see how that works out...