Evaporation

cent36

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
For some reason I can't upload the other pix.

As far as the skimmer, that is to come. No need since there are no living things.....

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Definately a great investment once you start adding livestock.

JNG

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome, if you are not planning on replacing evaporated water with additives, you can go with a 20g Rubbermaid tote and float valve plus tubing and a bulkhead. This should only cost around $30/$50. I have been using this method on a bigger scale for 15+ years. Just build a shelf above your sump and gravity feed. Before I purchased a calcium reactor, I would add pickling lime to help with calcium consumption as long as you don't have a heavy demand from corals. There are plenty of options and deals to be had as mentioned. Have fun and enjoy this wonderful hobby of ours.

cent36

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
[attachment=66995:name]

So apparently there is a 2M max file size that I didn't know about. Here are a few pix of my display tank

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Very nice start! looks like you will need some circulation pumps as well, especially if you plan on adding corals.
What is your plan for livestock and such?

goslugsgo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Great start!
The advice already given is excellent, and if I may add one more suggestion: read and ask questions, then read more and ask more questions.

My favorite part of reefing is that it's a blend of art and science. There're immutable scientific laws that govern the way an ecosystem survives, however getting it to thrive requires your own thoughtful interpretation and application of time-tested strategies. That is to say, everybody's system is different and philosophies vary, but finding what works for your box of water is the joy and challenge.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
goslugsgo;313692 said:
Great start!
The advice already given is excellent, and if I may add one more suggestion: read and ask questions, then read more and ask more questions.

My favorite part of reefing is that it's a blend of art and science. There're immutable scientific laws that govern the way an ecosystem survives, however getting it to thrive requires your own thoughtful interpretation and application of time-tested strategies. That is to say, everybody's system is different and philosophies vary, but finding what works for your box of water is the joy and challenge.

+1

cent36

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
SynDen;313689 said:
Very nice start! looks like you will need some circulation pumps as well, especially if you plan on adding corals.
What is your plan for livestock and such?
Thanks, I have actually hidden a power head in the back and in the rocks. The flow is actually pretty good as a few little things move around within the water all over the place and at time, rather rapidly. I'm pretty proud of how I hid it, but it doesn't limit it at all.

I would like to put some really nice corals in there after the tank is established. Not sure on the fish yet though, a lot are pretty cool looking. I do know I want a starfish.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Do lots of research before getting a starfish. Some species are fine but many species will either snack on coral or cant be adequately fed to survive long term.

Last edited by a moderator:

cent36

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;313814 said:
Do lots of research before getting a starfish. Some species are fine but many species will either snack on coral or cant be adequately fed to survive long term.
Yeah, I noticed that. Figured I have time though. Thanks for the heads up though

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome!

Some excellent advice has been given already. I'm unsure of your financial situation but buying used can save a great deal of money. I'd def look in the classifieds. An ATO helps a lot.

I'm a big fan of making a stocking list. I chose out 20-30 fish that I liked based on appearance. From that list I started researching compatability based on my goals (FO, FOWLR, REEF), eventually your list will trickle down to 5-6 fish that you like, display interesting behaviors (symbiotic relationships), and actually get along with each other.

Another good idea is to start your own build thread. It's a nice place to keep your progress/thoughts in order. Besides you get to show off your tank a little.