First Build; 120g

Chuzzler

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;257508 said:
Looks good! Love the corner overflow, much better than the dual center for the aqua scape possibilities.

Do you have a sump? I'd put the heater in it rather than the display. You may want to get at it in the future. Plus it'll clean up the look of the tank.
I have a 40g sump and 30g fuge in the basement. There is one heater in the sump, and I moved the display heater into one of the corner overflows to hide it.
Both heaters are wired into the Apex controller in the basement so hoping this works well to keep the temp stable.

Chuzzler

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got the bio-pellet reactor up and running hanging on the back of the fuge, filter socks are in place, skimmer is running, and Apex controller is measuring temp and PH, with network connection set up to the iPad for monitoring. Also mounted a pair of peristaltic pumps for dosing PH and Calcium; need to set up the 2 part jugs and get the Apex programmed to manage the dose.

Only issue is that I have great flow for the bio pellets, but it seems to depend highly on how much water I have flowing back into the sump (if I slow down the return to a trickle, the pellets do not churn). Anyone with bio pellet experience know a trick to slow the return down but keep the pellets rolling?
[attachment=64831:name]

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
What kind of pellet reactor do you have. Mine recirculates and the effluent is also controllable. You do want to control the effluent and have it a trickle as that's part of how you can control how low your nutrients. Make sure the effluent is close to your skimmer as well.

By the way, you are doing 2 part... one part is calcium and the other is for alkalinity, not ph. Yes they are tied together but don't chase the ph with it! Just chase the DKH level.

Chuzzler

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
No livestock yet. Only a couple of snails and mushrooms that traveled with a couple pieces of rock I put in. Starting dosing Seachem Stability 2 days ago to establish the pellets. Also have been dropping flakes in to get some ammonia in the system.

Chuzzler

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
No dry rock. Still want to add a couple of good shelf pieces though. Just makes me nervous that it all seems ready so fast, like I am missing something.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Chuzzler;258175 said:
No dry rock. Still want to add a couple of good shelf pieces though. Just makes me nervous that it all seems ready so fast, like I am missing something.

With proper start up equipment it can go fast :) Once you get that fuge up and running with some good macro, you won't even have to worry about nitrates and nitrites, just phosphates :p BTW the tank is looking good.

Chuzzler

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Corals and fish moved in

I have been consolidating by 2 tanks into this one this week and have put all but a few pieces of rock in, and have transplanted all the corals and fish. Now have Two B&w Clowns, Kleini Butterfly, Yellow Watchman Goby, and tiger pistol shrimp moved in. The yellow watchman and tiger pistol were in separate tanks before, but decided to live together within the first day in this tank which is really cool.
Tested today after having fish in for several days. PH 8.21, Alk 9dkh, Ca 500, Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrate < .15, Phosphate 0. Things seem t be adjusting well, corals love the AI SOLs.

[attachment=64855:name]