Help ID

RuRoo

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
What is this? Seems like a nudibranch but not sure. I just found this little guy cruising the glass. It's white, orange, & pink. Is he bad?

SteveT

Butterfly Fish
Definitly a nudibranch of some type. Small ones with frills down the back tend to be one of 2 types in the aquarium trade: Zoa eating nudi or berghia which are the aptasia eating nudis. Since you don't know what it is for sure it would probably be best to get it out. Better safe than to have it lay eggs and have a few hundered zoa eating nudis devistating your zoas.

RuRoo

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
SteveT;193719 said:
Definitly a nudibranch of some type. Small ones with frills down the back tend to be one of 2 types in the aquarium trade: Zoa eating nudi or berghia which are the aptasia eating nudis. Since you don't know what it is for sure it would probably be best to get it out. Better safe than to have it lay eggs and have a few hundered zoa eating nudis devistating your zoas.
Good call. Better not risk it. Thank you.

RuRoo

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;193737 said:
Def, nudi. Since he's white, orange, and pink, me might have been munching on orange/pink zoas.....have you noticed a few polyps closed?
Only my green crossettes, peach blossoms, and tubbs blue.

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zoa eating nudi, which is bad, bad, news. My whole tank ended up in the dumpster because of those things. If you only have a few zoa's in your tank, and you can remove them, you should be able to get rid of them. I would suggest setting up a small tank and putting all of your zoas into it, and treating the zoa's separately, and letting the nudi's die off in your display tank for 6+ weeks.

RuRoo

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
asneiman;193809 said:
Zoa eating nudi, which is bad, bad, news. My whole tank ended up in the dumpster because of those things. If you only have a few zoa's in your tank, and you can remove them, you should be able to get rid of them. I would suggest setting up a small tank and putting all of your zoas into it, and treating the zoa's separately, and letting the nudi's die off in your display tank for 6+ weeks.
How do you treat them?

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Not sure how to treat them, Probably CoralRX or osme kind of dip might do it, but Ill let someone else chime in on this, but a good rule of thumb I have always been told when dealing with nudis, is they usually resemble what they have been eating or will eat. Bergia will generally always resemble the brownish color of aptasia, coral eating nudis will generally be colorful.

RuRoo

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReefCheif;193820 said:
Not sure how to treat them, Probably CoralRX or osme kind of dip might do it, but Ill let someone else chime in on this, but a good rule of thumb I have always been told when dealing with nudis, is they usually resemble what they have been eating or will eat. Bergia will generally always resemble the brownish color of aptasia, coral eating nudis will generally be colorful.
Good to know. I have coralrx and I have used it on my corals. Hope it was only that one and none hiding in the rocks.

RuRoo

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
SteveT;193869 said:
keep an eye out for little white spirals near your zoas. That is what their eggs look like
Ok cool. Thanks.

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I believe the only thing that will kill them, is Flatworm exit at 4X it's normal dose. It does NOT kill the eggs.

Do you have many zoa's? Can you get all of them out, into another tank?

LittleCrabby101

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
A few days ago I noticed I had a brown nudi in my tank. When I went back to get him out he was MIA. I do have a small colony of reddish zoas that aren't opening all the way wonder if I should treat that piece of coral?

LittleCrabby101

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
reefmaster719;194723 said:
Coral rx dip works great but not sure of anything that kill "eggs"
I did the Coral Rx dip on the piece that was getting eaten. I guess I will have to see if it killed the eggs or not.

RuRoo

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
asneiman;193956 said:
I believe the only thing that will kill them, is Flatworm exit at 4X it's normal dose. It does NOT kill the eggs.
Nadia, try this.