HELP!! What happened to my Hollywood stunner

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tbh I don't think your tank is reaady yet imo. Just judging from your other posts

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Stunner is a hard coral, and must have the holy trinty in parameters (Calc, Alk, and Mag) in line. The more stable the better. I'd take your water to the closest LFS and have them test it. Might want to do a water change soon as that will likely help.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I agree with Mike and Dave. Your tank isn't cycled and stable yet. Take your water to a good fish store, and ask them to test it, show you how to test at home, and give you water chemistry 101. And get a test kit from them so you can do this regularly on your own. Once you get the tank cycled and your parameters stablized, THEN start adding in corals. SPS (like the hollywood stunner) are some of the hardest to keep. Within each category (softies, LPS [large polyp stonies], and SPS) there are some that are hardier than others. Some zoas (softies) are easy peasy, and others are persnickety as heck. Start with the easier/cheaper ones, watch for DBTCs, etc, until you get the hang of things. Then swap out to harder ones later.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Suggestions for test kits (These are my prefered testing methods):
API Nitrate
API Nirite
API Ammonia
Hanna Checker for phosphate
Salifert Calcium
Salifert Alkalinity
Salifert Magnesium

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm so deflated my tank looks bad this morning. I'm hoping I can save most of what I have. The only reason I have that sps is because it was pretty much given to me by Craigar (thank you again) but looks like I'm going to lose all of that plus my competition frag. I hope that a couple big water changes can will help. I can only imagine how it feels to lose a substantial amount of money in coral and fish. I appreciate all the advice and help offered from this club

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;296239 said:
I can only imagine how it feels to lose a substantial amount of money in coral and fish.
Its all part of the learning process. I crashed 3 tanks before I realised that I was trying to add fish and coral too fast. A lot of us use insurance frags we give to our close friends in the hobby. So if a tank ever crashes we have backups of the coral we can grow back out. Just always remember slow and steady is the best way to get a reef tank running and stable. The faster you try and start it up the more unstable it will be in the next few months.

Again, sorry that happened.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;296247 said:
Its all part of the learning process. I crashed 3 tanks before I realised that I was trying to add fish and coral too fast. A lot of us use insurance frags we give to our close friends in the hobby. So if a tank ever crashes we have backups of the coral we can grow back out. Just always remember slow and steady is the best way to get a reef tank running and stable. The faster you try and start it up the more unstable it will be in the next few months.

Again, sorry that happened.
+10. Tank crashes suck, but they're part of the hobby. So sorry this happened. Take a step back, a deep breath, and get things stable and ready for corals before you add them in. Then, add them, and additional fish, in slowly. More slowly than you can stand, and that's probably almost slow enough.

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
FinsUp!;296249 said:
More slowly than you can stand, and that's probably almost slow enough.
Haha ain't that the truth .. Here I am thinking that I'm taking it slow with fish and I'm doing it with coral... Hard not to get excited. But this is a learning experience.. It sucks but I jus finished doing about a 40% water change (all the ro water I had made) well take it slow on both sides fish and coral!

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;296254 said:
It sucks but I jus finished doing about a 40% water change (all the ro water I had made)

If you have the space to store RO water, do it! Its always good to have 50 ish gallons stored in case of a tank emergency. I think there is a place in Lafayette that sells recovered polypropylene containers that have been food grade cleaned for cheap. It would be a good way to store RO water.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
ya I know it is hard to resist the temptation to put things in to quickly. I kept my tank up and running for over a year with only some Chromis, basic zoas and mushrooms that came with the tank when I bought it, once I passed the year mark for the tank I started adding more corals and fish, but took alot of effort to be that patient on it. Well worth the wait though as things are starting to look much better now.