HELP!! What happened to my Hollywood stunner

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
You don't want to do so many big water changes that it messes with the tank's cycle. Cycling a tank is about developing the beneficial bacteria that process the ammonia out of the water. If you water-change it out, you're not building up those beneficial bacteria. I would just let it cycle. Keep it at a good temp, keep it running, put a fish or two in it and feed them so they poop (that's where the usual ammonia source is in a tank - fish poo and uneaten food). Let the bacteria that process that organic waste build up to where the levels aren't noticeable. Then add some more fish, maybe a really hardy coral or two.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I assume you started with all dry rock? It kind of looked that way from some pictures you have posted.
If so you have a bit of a wait ahead of you before things are going to start getting allot easier.

The first tank I started was with all dry rock and i didn't really start having success until about 8 months in. Granted had I really known what I was doing I might have been able to shorten that a bit. If you have not already, get a couple small pieces of well established (like 2+ years) live rock to help thing get going.

Some people will try to steer you away from starting a tank with live rock siting things like pests and what not but I will never start another tank without using all live rock ever again. IMO if you get some good live rock from a trusted source it just makes life so much easier.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;296347 said:
Thanks a bunch Cindy!!! So let it cycle again basically.. OK I can do that. You are a life saver!
LOL - I dunno if I'd go that far, but you're welcome.

ThunderTwonk;296350 said:
I assume you started with all dry rock? It kind of looked that way from some pictures you have posted.
If so you have a bit of a wait ahead of you before things are going to start getting allot easier.

The first tank I started was with all dry rock and i didn't really start having success until about 8 months in. Granted had I really known what I was doing I might have been able to shorten that a bit. If you have not already, get a couple small pieces of well established (like 2+ years) live rock to help thing get going.

Some people will try to steer you away from starting a tank with live rock siting things like pests and what not but I will never start another tank without using all live rock ever again. IMO if you get some good live rock from a trusted source it just makes life so much easier.
Getting some live rock from a trusted source is a great way to shorten up the process. Keep it from getting dry or especially cold during transport, and it'll stay live. If it dries out or gets cold/hot, the bacteria on it (this is what makes it 'live') will die.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Id put some of it upfront with the rest of you rockwork. will make it easier and faster for the life to move onto those rocks and become live. It will get there eventually in the back but prolly not as quickly