Help with sick clam

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got this clam about a month ago and he has never looked that great. His mantle is always retracted and his foot area seems to be missing. I have searched for pyramid snails, but I could not find anything. Currently he is in his own QT tank with a single Kessil over him. Here is a picture of the underneath.

Thanks!

Shawn

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
looks like they might of ripped his bysal gland out which is what allows him to anchor to surfaces. Shouldnt be that much of a problem as long as you make sure he is upright. Clams only use the bysal gland until they are big enough that they sit upright on their own.

Can you get a picture of his mantel?

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Fitz19d;n638410 said:
Looks like a lot of exposed tissue though. They rip it off a rock when you got it or an online order?

I got it from Aquatic Art - I don't think he had it that long. But, no - he did not remove it from anything. It was just in one of his frag flats.

Shawn

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hard to tell but looks like it has some pinched mantel.

I would suggest doing a FW dip and seeing if any improvement over the next few days.

I would also make sure the light is as close to the water as possible and/or move the clam up as high as possible.Also add some nutrients to the QT tank.