hole sizes for a 210 bean animal style overflow

High Plains Reefer

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
hi guys just picked a big daddy tank a 210 oceanic ultimate it is drilled only once but i plan on using that as a drain so I want to do a beananimal style overflow. first question how big of holesaw do i need and do you think I should do a coast to coast box? I plan on a sps dominated tank

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
nice tank! Not sure on coast to coast, but for bean animal why not find the biggest bulkhead size you can get and cut a hole to that size. gives you room to dial the flow to whatever you want if you plumb in valves. you'd want a total of 3 flows for a minimal bean animal system, then add to that if you want more drains and also add your returns (sorry if i'm telling you what you already know).

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: hole sizes for a 210 bean animal style overflow

I just reused my existing holes. The coast to coast overflow isn't part of the bean animal, just a primo overflow.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Evan has a good point on going too big now that i think about it. you may need to plan out whether for example 2" PVC plumbing can fit under your sump area, and also whether the total overflow area can even accommodate 3 or more bulkheads that size. Also, depending on how big you go, the PVC fitting prices jump up quite a bit and can be much, much harder to find. you should just plan it all out, piece by piece, before your first cut while going as big as you can. that may mean that 1.5" is the biggest you can do.

High Plains Reefer

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I was planning on doing a metal stand i just dont trust my woodworking skills also was going to run a 75 gallon tank as a sump i really hadnt planned on bigger than 1" i guess there is option of doing 2 sets of 3 @ 1" or do you think i should just stick to 1 set of 3 and do 1 1/2

Smokey

Cleaner Shrimp
hole sizes for a 210 bean animal style overflow

With the bean setup you could drill a standard 1" bulkhead and run 1 1/2 pipe and still get ridiculous flow. I have it going on a 40B with only 3/4 pipe and I have it throttled back a bunch. I think wide open it still pulls like 1500 gph. And my pump definitely can't keep up with it even though it does 1000gph. Also remember you don't want 2000 gph going through the sump, gotta give that water time to skim etc.

High Plains Reefer

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
i have read that you dont want full flow running through the sump on this level my question is how do you slow it down i had planned on doing a fuge sectoin should i drop a drain on each side the put the return section in the middle?