Hoosier Daddy's 180

HoosierDaddy

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I think I finally found the perfect set up for me ;). I have always wanted a 180g, I believe that it has the perfect footprint and this one was too nice to pass. Well a little over a week ago I came across this 180 from the guys over on the Craiglist Deal thread. I called the guy and picked it up that night. So over this past weekend I went ahead and painted the back as I usually do. I am plumbing this down to my basement to a fuge and a 100g stock tank. So off to Home Depot last night and spent too much money on plumbing parts.

Here is a list of everything so far.

Equipment:

Tank: 180g RR w/ cherry wood stand and canopy
Skimmer: SWC 180 Extreme Cone
Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead
Lights: (3) 120w Dimmable & Controllable LED's
Sump: 100g Rubbermaid Stock tank & 40g ADHI Refugium
Rock: Pukani (BRS)
Water Flow: Tunze Wavebox & Vortech MP40w

LOL I had to post this pic cause my little Weenis had "Freaking Laser Beams"

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the dogface puffer but isn't he a little big for that setup? LOL. Nice tank!

HoosierDaddy

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I hate the way the Dursos' I made are sticking up. I have some mesh netting coming in to make my screen tops so something hast to change. Either lower them or cut the mesh. Oh yeah I am going to paint these black.

This will be my fuge so the skimmer will be in the stock tank.

I'm super envious of that setup BTW. Had I seen that, we might not have eaten this week.

HoosierDaddy

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok so since the BRS GB was going this week, I got to order my Pukani Rock and new RODI filetrs for my Kent Maxxima. Should be here Monday. I also ordered 2 buckets of Red Sea Coral Salt from Dr. Fosters and hopefully that will get here by Monday as well. I went with dry rock for the simple fact that I can scape this thing with no water in it and get the look I am going for. I also have about 100lbs of Aragonite sand i will be using.

Now my biggest thing is figuring out lights for this bad boy. I want LED's really bad but I am not sure I am sold on them yet. Any opinions on what to use? I was thinking the Evolutions or AI Sols/Vega. Any input would be great.

HoosierDaddy

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good_GReef;148222 said:
I'm super envious of that setup BTW. Had I seen that, we might not have eaten this week.
LOL, it did only take about 5 mins of convincing to my old lady. She liked it as much as I did...awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:

HoosierDaddy

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
scchase;148223 said:
She takes after her dad
That is Hilarious!!!! She definitley does. Btw she did come from Scchase if anyone is interested in those dogface pups :). We absolutely love this dog and she is spoiled to the core!

HoosierDaddy

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zooid;148227 said:
I love my Sol Super Blues but you must be careful because they are extremely powerful.
Yeah, do you think I could get away with three to start? I just read that you need alot to not get the spotlighting effect.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Let me put it this way.....
I have six of them on my seven foot tank and they do OK.....there is one spot in the middle that is not lit like the rest but I just have a 2 foot toadstool in that spot anyway lol

HoosierDaddy

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zooid;148231 said:
Let me put it this way.....
I have six of them on my seven foot tank and they do OK.....there is one spot in the middle that is not lit like the rest but I just have a 2 foot toadstool in that spot anyway lol
Wow...ok maybe I should really look into the Evolutions. I am not sure I want to drop 2k or more on them. Anyone using Evo's to light their larger tanks?

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Or you could DIY.....some of the guys online here are pretty knowledgable about building them.
Also, if you built it yourself, you could add different colors that the AI and Evolutions may not have. Like green, red, UV, different whites, etc.

HoosierDaddy

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah that doesn't sound bad. I know it is out of my league :).

Does anyone know how to get that old coralline off of the overflows? That stuff drives me crazy. I like to keep my tanks looking clean. I never allow that stuff to grow on anything but the rock.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
pukani looks good too. i almost did too but I had emailed marco and the guy was just too nice to ignore lol