JBJ Nano HQI?

jpc763

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I broke down my 125 and parted it out a year ago. Recently I have been thinking about getting back in with a nano.

I have an opportunity to get a JBJ 28 gallon nano with 150w HQI.

Anybody have any info on this system? I see they have gone to LED with their newer models. Is heat an issue?

Thanks!

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Heat is not the issue. I think the issue is how bright the LEDs are. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they are dimmable and I've heard they bleach stuff fast if not careful. Ask dvenson he's got one I believe.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The brand new ones might be dimmable, but I'm not sure. You can talk to dvenson as mentioned, but also talk to jahmic as he has that same tank. Send them PM's with your questions.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh wow sry I'm an idiot and didn't read haha. Heat is an issue with the biocube's on pc lighting I can't imagine those are any better.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jpc763;178062 said:
Sorry. I think I led you astray!

Is heat an issue with the HQI version?
I have the HQI and run it with a chiller. I haven't run it in the summer without the chiller...but imagine the temps would get too high without one, as I let the ambient room temp get up to 78. In the winter/ spring I did run that hood without the chiller or any additional evaporative cooling and the temps didn't go any higher than 82 degrees...but my ambient temperature was significantly lower then, as it never got above 72 in my house. Also worth mentioning, as I don't know how much heat they contribute, is that my hood is also retrofitted with 2 18w actinic PC-R bulbs and I'm also running an HOB skimmer (Aquamaxx HOB-1) that includes an 11w submersed pump.

I think the fans in the hood work well enough to dissipate heat in the summer as long as your ambient room temp is low enough. Prior to picking up this hood for my tank, I did poke around other forums for info, and it seems that many people solved minor heat issues by upgrading the fans in the hood. I have a habit of not running the AC while I'm at work though, so opted for a chiller as I witnessed the tank temps climb up to 83 degrees once the room temps started hitting 76+.

ailachami

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
i have a 28g nanocube too and even in the winter my temp would fluctuate between 80-83 with my house temp at 70. but i have my tank in my loft where airflow is not good. now i have LEDs (rapidleds) and still have heat issue if i dont run an additional fan on it.

cremer9

Butterfly Fish
I have the jbj12 gallon with a 70 watt hqi topless I have always ran a 90mm computer fan between the light and water.Helps alot with evaporation i fill it with about 1/2 gallon of RO daily my temp stays steady at 78.