J's 120 Gallon "I can't believe it's not butter" Build

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Miah2bzy;344978 said:
It's going to go on the first floor above the laundry room. The concrete will extend to about 1 foot on one side with the laundry room door under the rest of it (pictured above). It will sit over 4 beams, on end runs to concrete, the other to stairs. The wall right behind the tank is load bearing.
Shouldn't be a problem, hopefully, as the house was built in 2012.
I'm also not using as much live rock, only 30-40 lbs with this build and most likely bare bottom. I still haven't decided on a sump yet but going to try my 20L and see how it fits once the stand is built.
Ah, cool! Enjoy!

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
Miah2bzy;344979 said:
That's great! Was thinking that or t-5s, had also considered cutting the end portions off where the pcs are and making it just a 2x250 halide fixture. Pics would be great, thanks!
Here are a few pics of my light. The controller is not mounted yet, just hanging, until I complete this build. You will notice that it also does not have a halide in it. I just took it out yesterday because I ordered an Aurora Puck and a few extra LED's from RapidLED. Hopefully they will be here by the end of the week. Then this will be a complete LED fixture. This is actually my test fixture, I am building it to see how it compares to a 250w halide. If it works well I will do this to the 72" fixtures for the 300g build.

Skrappy

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't know squat about LEDs, but I do know the glass halide covers block a lot of UV and some of the other light. just an idea, but maybe replacing that center glass with a piece of plastic or thinner glass(if u haven't already) would help with it.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Miah2bzy;344978 said:
I'm also not using as much live rock, only 30-40 lbs with this build and most likely bare bottom. I still haven't decided on a sump yet but going to try my 20L and see how it fits once the stand is built.

Jeremiah, I strongly recommend a 40 breeder as a sump and at least 60-70 lbs of rock. If its a cost situation, reefrocks.net has dry rock $85 for 50 lbs of dry rock shipped. Mix that with 10-15 lbs of liverock to seed it and that should be awesome!

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
You are correct, the glass will block the UV, though not much of other spectrums. Acrylic actually has a similar effect, however, the lenses are made of acrylic so it really won't make a big difference. I am already planning on replacing the thick glass with thinner acrylic or plexi.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Found some Kessil a150's for a good price today. I'm thinking of putting 4 of them over the 120, 2 tuna blues and 2 ocean blues, with controller it's cheaper than a halide setup and most other led setups i've seen. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Picked up a 40B in the $1 sale for the sump this week. Going to start on the stand in the next few days and hopefully have water in tank very soon :)

Last edited by a moderator: