Killing coraline algea on acrylic

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have been traveling a lot the last couple years and while my tanks are doing decent, the Coralie growth on the front has been insane. Enter plastic poster board. I created a shield for the front and sides. It doesn't block any corals. Been a couple weeks. I might be able to actually scrape the remnants off this weekend 20230223_110324.jpg

Sent from my SM-S906U using MASC mobile app

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Huh! Interesting solution!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I hope that it works, but coralline can grow with very little light. I have a LED shop light, like the kind that you buy at Sams Club over a 72x30x30 tank with only fish and the coralline grows so fast that it will cover the front glass in about a month - it is 12 watts. Coralline always grew better in the shadows and lower light parts of my tank.

Urchins make it easier, but they scratch acrylic... so not a good solution either. I try and scrape mine regularly while it is still soft. Tunze Strong+ Care (or whatever size is appropriate) is about as good as I have found.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I like the Dobie sponges. I cut off the abrasive part and put it between my magnetic cleaner it’s better than what the regular acrylic cleaners do. Best thing though is a small fresh cut piece of scrap acrylic

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I hope that it works, but coralline can grow with very little light. I have a LED shop light, like the kind that you buy at Sams Club over a 72x30x30 tank with only fish and the coralline grows so fast that it will cover the front glass in about a month - it is 12 watts. Coralline always grew better in the shadows and lower light parts of my tank.

Urchins make it easier, but they scratch acrylic... so not a good solution either. I try and scrape mine regularly while it is still soft. Tunze Strong+ Care (or whatever size is appropriate) is about as good as I have found.
It seems to be working. Not killing it off, but weakening it a little. It's been months of growth.

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I like the Dobie sponges. I cut off the abrasive part and put it between my magnetic cleaner it’s better than what the regular acrylic cleaners do. Best thing though is a small fresh cut piece of scrap acrylic

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado
I may have to try that. I have both. I have an acrylic blade ice scraper too. It just chews up the Kent blades and other scrapers.

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
For the record, this is working. Was able to get most of it off with much less effort than it was taking.