Lighting Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweat044

Butterfly Fish
I got a Coralife Aqualight Dual T5 Lamp High Output Fixture on a 46 Gallon Bow. I did some research and for what I want to accomplish right now I believe it is the best light. One day I will go to LED's but want to get the hobby down before I spend that amount of money. Is this adequate for the corals I have? What else would do well with this kind of lighting?​

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
What coral do you have?

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
thats going to be on the lower end of acceptable lighting for a tank that size, you may find zoas streaching, and any SPS will stop growing.

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you'd like to buy some additional lighting, and not spend a ton of money, I've got all of the lights from my biocube 29 that were used for 3-4 weeks. I built a LED retro, and replaced them.

Basically, 2 36 watt PC ballasts, endcaps, bulbs and the reflector. I also have the moonlights too. I would take $40 for the PC's, or $50 for the PC's and the moonlights.

sweat044

Butterfly Fish
The Corals I have are Blue Polyp Birds Nest, Orange Digy, Mushroom and orange and green zoas. What would be the minnimum lighting required? What about LED what would work well and not break the bank?

sweat044

Butterfly Fish
Someone please help? I am so confused. From the information I have gathered LED is the way to go. I would love them but I also need to eat. Others say Halies are the way to go? I am new and so confused. I am just looking for information on what you would do if you were in my shoes. The light I bought cannot be returned so I have the T5 light fixture. What else do I need.

tlo25

Turbo Snail
You're gonna need a little extra light with those corals, I would say ideally you get leds and supplement with your T5s. If cash is tight you could get a DIY LED kit. If cash is really tight, halides are pretty cheap used right now.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can run the light any time you like, no night time does not need light, 6-8 hrs of day light.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea better find some more light for some of those coral or they will be dead. I love my T-5's you just need more. I for one good sir am not quite sold on most of the LED's out there yet. I would say go MH or T-5. I have a 400W MH I could part with, it is alot of light some may say overkill it has however spent the better part of its life on a 46 bowfront. My 70 gallon frag tank has 2 x 400W on it.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I found my 3' PC, only 1/2 of it works, I have a 4 bulb T5 on my mangroves I will sell it to you for $40.

Status
Not open for further replies.