Look out I was thinking

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I have been thinking on how to cut cost but make this the best event that we can. I am not a big fan of speakers and to me does not seem other are either. So instead of speakers why not do work stations.

dipping station where we educate on dipping corals.

Scape station. Where we teach people how to glue/concrete rock together.

Fraging station. Teach people how to frag different coral

Water chemistry station. How to test water properly.

Also what about a slide show that runs constantly about masc and masc member tanks and maybe 3 to 4 pictures featuring each of our sponsors.

Also if we still feel we need speakers then why not invite a company like ecotech to speak and educate people on advances in led lighting. Then the cost is all on the compays we invite.

I say lets make this event our own and not like every other cookie cutter event.

Of course these are ideas

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I THOUGHT I smelled something burning! :rofl:

I like this idea a LOT better than speakers. Plus it means renting just one room, not two different ones, and not paying extra for a bunch of A/V gear. We would need to get a larger room to hold all the vendors and the workstations, but that's do-able.

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
I like all the workshops. We did something like this years back.

I do think speakers have their place in an event but also think that having companies to talk would be a great idea too!

What about trying to get the Local Seachem or Salifert rep to do the testing workshop? Or Hanna, I think hanna is a Colorado based???

I think that having some type of separation between the workshops and the frag swap area is critical if for nothing else other than traffic and flow of people.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I agree completely that the money spent on speakers is IMO a waste and I think you have some great ideas here!!!! I think our money is better spent on teaching people several things that would be actual hands on vs watching a slide show and listening to a speaker. However....the only problem with this or is usually a problem is getting people to man the stations and or work the demonstrations. ------- Need to think more on this but we might be able to get people in the club/community to do the actual demonstrations in say....one time only - 1 hours time slots.

As far as bringing a major manufacturer I think this is Brilliant !!!!!!!!! This again assumes they cover the costs of their travel to get to us. I think a big name manufacturer will certainly help bring some draw to the show vs just calling it another frag show.

* other ideas could be:
- glass frag tanks/sumps building like Scott Chase did at the meeting at his house
- diy led panel like I believe Derek here on the board has done before at a swap
- tank drilling/ installing glass holes overflow kit

Last edited by a moderator:

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;279237 said:
I agree completely that the money spent on speakers is IMO a waste and I think you have some great ideas here!!!! I think our money is better spent on teaching people several things that would be actual hands on vs watching a slide show and listening to a speaker. However....the only problem with this or is usually a problem is getting people to man the stations and or work the demonstrations. ------- Need to think more on this but we might be able to get people in the club/community to do the actual demonstrations in say....one time only - 1 hours time slots.
Thats what I was thinking. The schedule might look something like this.

9-10 rockscaping 101
Raffle
11-12 frag tank building
12-1 advances in led lighting with john from eco-tec
Raffle
2-3 water chemistry with seachem
3-4 fraging with so and so sponsor
Raffle

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think if we dropped it down to 3 workshops (rockscaping, frag tank building, and either fragging or DIY LEDs), that would be better. It would give the demo person more time to talk, for people to ask questions, etc. It would also mean that we could have just 1 workshop area, and plenty of time for setup and tear down in between. Having manufacturers there is also a good idea, and maybe they get a larger area for displaying their goods and talking about what's happening in the industry, etc.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
I completely agree with this. This is what we did in the first ReefEd that I ever attended and it was great. I think it provides a whole lot more of a benefit to the club and furthers our goal into educating the community.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I like it. Also gives us the chance to have some hands on stations, such as the rock scaping. It'd also be nice to demo different techniques, then have materials on hand so evercan mess around a bit. Dunno how feasible that is due to the potential mess... Maybe throw down a tarp and break out some mortar and acrylic rods? Lol

Either way, I like the idea of involving members rather than hosting speakers. As much as I enjoyed Scott Fellman's presentation...I know we have local reefers that can offer just as much.