Looking to the future build.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So with the school completed and the move on our minds I am starting to plan for the next build. Depending on the house we find I am wanting to do a plywood in wall build, ideally a 8'x36"x30" (425 gallon) tank with a front viewing panel. I really like the idea of framing the tank with 2x4 framing like a wall, not only for added strength but to add insulation to the outside and perhaps save a bit of change regulating the temp of such a large tank. I am looking for ideas as this tank is at least 2 years off and the planning stage is the most important part.... and the most affordable, lol. My plan so far involves sealing it with pond armor and perhaps using a DIY pvc coast to coast overflow.

I like the way this guy frames his tank out, although I think I might build the tank first then add the framing so I can button up my seams and then secure it to the frame.
https://youtu.be/Eq2Gjmm7zAw

This is the DIY coast to coast overflow, although I am not sure I am in love with the idea of visible plumbing in the tank.
https://youtu.be/E03t_S4nEhM

Let me know your thoughts and what you might do, Hell I may never get around to building it but I hope to.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Was thinking that I would first need to find a way to deal with all that humidity. I was thinking about installing 2 of these in the ceiling and venting them into the outside. I'm not too sure about the build in humidity switch, any thoughts?

Instead of a fart fan you could look into a greenhouse exhaust. They come equipped with a sensor that turns on the fan when humidity reaches a predetermined set point.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I like those air exchangers but they are so expensive. This model kicks on at a set humidity level, but I don't know if it is low enough for my application.

Last edited by a moderator:

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
just_tim;351553 said:
Awesome build by the way. Ive been curious about plywood tanks for years.
I have been watching videos on plywood build for years. My wife finally gave me the go ahead to build one in our next house.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Yep and i started filling it again last night should only be 4 days or so.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Any thought on bracing or things you would have done differently if you had it to do again?

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
I did change it up when I reset it up down in Denver, I have added a more or less moveable wall all around it which when done will make it look built in

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I love my ply wood tank may be putting the house on the market I dont think I will be able to get it out of the basement though so hopefully the buyer loves fish. Lol

Craigar;352366 said:
I love my ply wood tank may be putting the house on the market I dont think I will be able to get it out of the basement though so hopefully the buyer loves fish. Lol
What did you do to keep it from bowing?