MarineLand submersible LED's.... DO NOT BUY? ... Short's

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I had one strip of the marineland submersible strips. Was fine, ended up getting 2 more. Now admittedly used, but I don't see how 2 would lose their water sealant. In any case I had one that fairly rapidly had water leak in which started shorting out the light. (Flickering etc. Looked at it and could see the water and all kind of gunk in with it at one end. Pretty much was out by the time I realized the issue. Now after a month or two, the second one of 2 I noticed a little flickering white light amongst the blues at night.... it too now has a small leak that was causing a short.....

The first one I let dry and superglued each cap, and seems to have fixed it. Lights up fine out of tank. I havn't tried putting it back in the tank yet.

But with 2 of them doing it makes me seriously wonder on the quality on these things.

Fitz19d;233193 said:
So I had one strip of the marineland submersible strips. Was fine, ended up getting 2 more. Now admittedly used, but I don't see how 2 would lose their water sealant. In any case I had one that fairly rapidly had water leak in which started shorting out the light. (Flickering etc. Looked at it and could see the water and all kind of gunk in with it at one end. Pretty much was out by the time I realized the issue. Now after a month or two, the second one of 2 I noticed a little flickering white light amongst the blues at night.... it too now has a small leak that was causing a short.....

The first one I let dry and superglued each cap, and seems to have fixed it. Lights up fine out of tank. I havn't tried putting it back in the tank yet.

But with 2 of them doing it makes me seriously wonder on the quality on these things.
Call Marineland and report this to them! They usually ask you to ship them back to them. They'll send you a shipping label and pay the freight. For your inconvenience they'll usually send you free products to do so. If you have an issue with them, please contact me, because I'm currently working with them with about the same problem!

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Catfish Charlie;233197 said:
Call Marineland and report this to them! They usually ask you to ship them back to them. They'll send you a shipping label and pay the freight. For your inconvenience they'll usually send you free products to do so. If you have an issue with them, please contact me, because I'm currently working with them with about the same problem!
Right on! I'm having the same issue

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Same issue as in water leaks?

@ smiley, yes they are sold as completely submersible. If you were at reefstock they had several in both days raffles.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Remember, water resistant and water proof are 2 different things. Items labeled as water resistant generally will not hold up to saltwater corrision, read the warranty on your wrist watch, pretty much the same idea.

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a pair of these on a small tank that came from MACNA in Orlando.... that was three years ago (they debuted there). They are fine, and are submersed in salt water.

Yes... they are designed to be used underwater or at the surface.

As Catfish Charlie's mentioned, send a note to Marineland (they have a Contact Us webform on ther website). They are very customer oriented and will replace them for you. I'm guessing that as they ramped up manufacturing, in China of course, that there ay have been some production issues with a batch or two.